How to replace the putty on outside windows before the glass falls out

Just moved into a condo and the putty on my outside windows is totally dried out and the panes are barely holding on. How can I replace this putty
  10 answers
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Sep 07, 2016
    This is called window glazing putty. Step 1: Remove the old putty. Pry out loose chunks of glazing compound with a putty knife. Soften remaining areas with a heat gun and scrape the putty away. ... Step 2: Add new putty to the window. Set new glass onto a bead of latex caulk. This is a big job - but important. Google it for exact directions on doing it right - and you can do it! Good luck!

    • S S on Sep 08, 2016
      You don't have to use "new" glass. You can re-use the same glass.

  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 07, 2016
    My opinion I would contact the condo association on this issue.Just my thought why would you have to deal with this?

  • Annette Kilwein Annette Kilwein on Sep 07, 2016
    scrap out old and replace​ with new putty

  • William William on Sep 07, 2016
    I agree with Janet! This would be a job for the condo association. You only should be responsible for the interior of your unit. Read the bylaws and they will outline your responsibilities.

  • Judy Riley Judy Riley on Sep 08, 2016
    Go to a home store like Home Depot or Lowes and get a packet of glazing putty. if your window also rattles, get a small tube of silicone. Take a razor blade or really sharp knife and carefully scrape the old putty from around the window and along the sill. Wipe it down with a damp cloth to make sure you have all the putty off. If your window rattles because its too loose carefully put a dab of silicone in each corner to stabilize it and wait 4 or 5 hours or overnight, then, wearing rubber or latex gloves, stick the putty against the edges of the window and smooth it down with either a small trowel or your gloved finger so that it is about 1/2 inch up on the window all around and looks like a triangle. And you are done. I've done it dozens of times.

  • Terry Foster Terry Foster on Sep 08, 2016
    I do think your first step is to determine who is responsible for this type of maintenance.

  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Sep 08, 2016
    Contact condo.They are the ones that deal with outside your unit.That is what they are paid for!

  • Sherrie Sherrie on Sep 08, 2016
    you can use tiny little stars u can buy anywhere and push them in . Or buy the putty and roll it like a snake supper thin and put it on or use chalking for quick fix. Chalking is hard to remove but if they are old windows it won't hurt anything

  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Sep 08, 2016
    If the condo refuses to do the job. You scrape out the old putty, paint the frame, apply new glazing compound. allow to dry completely before putting on a second of paint.

  • G.Howard G.Howard on Sep 09, 2016
    Depending on the size it's fairly easy. YouTube.Com has a bunch of tutorials. This is just one of them. Good Luck!