What can be done with 1950's windows?

+1
Our house was built in 1953 and still has the original windows. It's large enough for us to live in but it's drafty. What can we do about the windows not fitting together well?

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 25, 2017
    ive got a 1950s house my self...one of the windows has a replacement that is 2 inches shorter than the other window. Caulk arround the window frame internally and Externall. Use storm windows, bubble wrap the window panes internally, and shrink wrap.i don’t wrap the shrink wrap to the window frame. I go over it a few inches and use blue painters tape to hold it in place. Next layer woul be insulated drapes. Use an addition drape or to to make it really full. if your windows are in sections caulk the sections, Consider new windows...and price them out. Oh one more spot to cover ..where the window slides on a glide...there’s a space for air to leak thru. I use rope caulk internally it’s easy to handle easy to get off the carpet I put an air barrier on the glides.

• Pamela R Pamela R on Dec 26, 2017
    I replaced the windows in my 1979 home. So worth the upgrade as double pane windows are so much better. No drafts and much quieter.

• Annie Annie on Dec 26, 2017
    Simple solution. Use 3m window insulation kit. Very easy to use. Can be bought at most hardware stores or online. My home is 118 yrs. old and I used this on my leaky Windows and it really works.