What's the best hinge type for a bi folding bookcase?

+1
I want to create a room divider with bi folding bookcases, but I'm not sure which hinge type would work best
q what s the best hinge type for a bi folding bookcase
  • Linda Linda on Jun 17, 2018
    Look into piano hinges. There may be something better...but that is where I'd start.

• Ken Ken on Jun 18, 2018
    Wondering if these book cases would be suspended from a track or just free-standing on the floor. If free-standing, I'm guessing that they would not be moveable once filled with books because they would be tremendously unstable.

If suspended from a track, kits are available that include all hardware necessary to build and install a bifold door. There is a great deal of load placed on the pivot on a standard bifold door and i am guessing that this design would need wheels on the floor to hold the weight. Full-sized door hinges would be my choice since piano hinges, except for very expensive ones, are made of very thin metal and are narrow, placing the load on a small area of the side of the shelf.

• William William on Jul 02, 2018
    I agree with Linda. Piano hinge would be the best option.

• Conswelo Conswelo on Jul 03, 2018
    I'm going to look into piano hinges... thanks everyone...I was learning towards piano vibes because all the DIYs I saw used them and they come in an array of lengths and sizes... but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this project now having a hard time finding thrift store bookshelves that will fit in the space i need it to... until then I have a lot of projects to keep me busy... stay tuned