Rubber backing on bathroom mats disintegrating. Any way to replace?

+5
Carpet on mats are in good condition and I would like to replace the disintegrating rubber. Is there any product out there that can be applied and allow me to launder?
q how to fix deteriorating latex rug backings, bathroom ideas, diy, how to
  • MaryStLouis MaryStLouis on Jan 12, 2015
    I found this great tutorial using liquid latex. It seems pretty simple to do. Good luck! http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-deteriorating-latex-rug-backings-100506.html

• Cynthia Nerlinger Cynthia Nerlinger on Jan 13, 2015
    Air dry the new one!!

• Janet Manger Janet Manger on Jan 13, 2015
    Dryer heat will destroy rubber in any form. Always air dry any rugs with rubber backing. To fix the old one, remove (cut off) as much loose backing as possible, even the little pieces/strings and make sure the rug is clean and dry. Take a tube of silicone chalking from the hardware store. Squirt in a snake like pattern on the back of rug, making sure to go to and around the edges. Let dry completely before using. In the future, wash on very gentle cycle and hang to dry. Good luck!

• Lori Snarski Lori Snarski on Jan 13, 2015
    Well, the three ladies above pretty much answered this question as I would have.

• Judithatal#1 Judithatal#1 on Jan 13, 2015
    Hello All, The carpets have always been washed on the gentle cycle and never placed in the dryer. The carpets are frequently washed due to them being used for a B&B. I do like the latest suggestion plus it maybe the most cost effective...

• Bba593579 Bba593579 on Jan 13, 2015
    Judith, actually I used the silicone method on bathroom scatter rugs I have made too. Works like a charm, and the best part? Not too expensive either! Good luck!!! :-)

• Pat Pat on Aug 30, 2016
    Why not try Flex Seal? Rubber like like texture and the Ad shows it sealing gutters

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 04, 2020

Might try some Flex Seal. Don't put these kinds of rugs in ther dryer and the backing stays on.