Asked on Aug 28, 2015

Can I put 2 scalloped valances together?

by Texann
Hi, I have a 70" wide window and I'm wondering how it will look to put two of these valances together on this one window. The valance is 50" W x 15" H so that would leave me with 30 extra inches to make it gathered. Would that look ok? This would be in the kitchen and I won't have any long panels, just these valances.
If I do the the 2 together should I use a 3" rod or would a smaller round rod be better? What about a rod with clips?
How do you think the center will look? Should I tack the two together in the center before I hang them? Could I put something decorative in the center to hide the seam?
If you've seen this done before could you post a photo or URL where I could see it?
Thanks so much!
This is the valance I have in mind.
  3 answers
  • Dee Dee on Aug 28, 2015
    I have a 72 inch window that I used 3 50 inch valances. I used a regular 2 inch rod and gathered the valance and it looks great. The rule of thumb is 2 times the width of the window. Min was 2 times plus 10 inches. It depends on how full you want your valance to be. If you only want a small gather use two valances. It will be flatter looking. The picture looks just fine for a kitchen window.
    • Texann Texann on Aug 28, 2015
      @Dee Thanks for your comment. Using 3 might be the way to go. That would make a tighter gathering. I was worried that since this valance seems to be made to be stretched the width of the window without any gathering that adding a lot of gathering might make the scallops look off. Maybe using a 1" round rod instead of the flat 3" rod give it a more casual look. Your comments are appreciated!
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Aug 28, 2015
    The short answer to your question is, yes, you can use two valances on your long window. However, rarely is there a seam in the center of any professional window treatment, and most home sewing patterns direct you to outboard seams rather than center ones. If there is any way you can split one of the valances in half and sew the two halves to the outboard edges of the uncut valance, that would be the most ideal thing. I've done it many times, but it requires a little tweaking to get the rod pockets and bottom hem/seam to look smooth. As for the type of rod, that is usually dictated by the size of the rod pocket (the space the rod slides through). I wouldn't use clips if you are joining two panels because that might result in drawing unnecessary attention to the valance, especially if you are unsure about your skills at combining the two valances. There are usually an odd number of scallops or focal points of interest in most window treatments, but the photo you have posted shows two. A factor that dictates a lot of how window treatments are designed and/or space calculated are the weight of the fabric and the fullness desired, but I'm getting way ahead of the original question. I can't offer a link for your to view, just my advice and many, many years of personal experience.
    • See 3 previous
    • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Aug 28, 2015
      @Texann If the description says 3-inch rod pocket, then you can use a 1-inch round rod. Yours is most likely 7/8 inches, but the rod pocket on the valance will work if you use another rod like the ones in your den. You'll just have a little more free space in the rod pocket. If you use 3 valences, it won't matter. Reread my information on rod pockets and different types of rods with their requirements. You'll see what I mean. As for the flat, continental rod, they are designed to have the treatment wrap around to the wall.
  • Lori Jackson Lori Jackson on Aug 28, 2015
    If it were me, I would probably start with three panels so that I could join them to maintain that lovely scallop--splicing or seaming on the two sides, rather than in the center.