How can I use wider blinds to replace the mini blinds ?


My house was built with narrow window frames in the 90's when mini blinds where the style. I want to replace them with the wider ones, How can I make them work?

  5 answers
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Sep 28, 2018

    If the blinds go out beyond the frames, it will look off. You can remove the current framing and replace it with thicker framing. Or use drapes to cover the edges of the widows, and just build out the sill.

  • Alice Alice on Sep 28, 2018

    You wouldn't want your Blinds To go too far out from your walls, but what you could do is build a valance above the window to accommodate the depth of the blinds. You might need to replace the window sill to accommodate the width of the blinds so it wouldn't look funny whenever your blinds are lowered completely. Did that make any sense ??? I hope

  • CJ CJ on Oct 01, 2018

    Hi Jpp23789017,

    Do you mean you have narrow windows, or narrow moldings around the windows?

  • Jpp23789017 Jpp23789017 on Oct 01, 2018

    Narrow moldings around the window.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 07, 2018

    The width (narrow or wide) of your window mouldings should not affect the difficulty of adequately mounting the headrail of a blind on an inside mount. It is the depth of the window or window casing that is of concern.

    If you cannot find any blinds with wider slats for which the head rail will still fit within the depth (not width) of your window, then an option is to mount the new blinds on top of the window mouldings instead of inside. This is called outside mount.