First thing is first: clean the surface! These tiles won't stick well to a dirty surface, so make sure you scrub the surface thoroughly. These cabinets not only had dirt but also caked on grease - make sure everything is as clean as you can get it.
Lay out a few tiles to determine the best place to start. I wanted to make sure the front of the cabinet had full tiles since this is what you see when you open the cabinet doors. The back of the cabinet would require me to cut down the back row of tile.
While doing my dry-run, I also noticed one of the front corners of the cabinet would need to be altered to accommodate an angled cut that existed in the cabinet wood. This was the front of the cabinet, so I knew it would be a full tile that would need cut down ever so slightly.
I measured where this cut would need to be made, marked it with a marker on the back side of the tile, and then cut it down with a pair of scissors.
All that's left is peeling apart the tile from its backing! I started with my special cut angled corner tile and moved on from there. I was careful to match up the pattern perfectly as I went and pressed each tile so it was evenly attached to the surface.
The back row, like I mentioned previously, required the tiles to be cut down. Because this is an older apartment, I didn't trust the back area to be perfectly square, so I measured the distance from the full tile to the back molding for each tile. And it was a good thing I did, some distances had a difference of 1/4"+!
I then used my ruler and ran it over the entire area to make sure the tiles were sticking nicely! It looked great!
We then put everything back - the tiles brightened up the cabinet so much! Not to mention, the tile surface will be much easier to wipe down than the untreated wood underneath. This quick and easy project is totally worth it for renters and homeowners alike!
Materials I used for this project:
- Peel-n-Stick Tiles (Etsy)