How to Use an Image Tranfer to Update an Old Chest

$20

This old chest wasn't very fancy with it's layers of old paint. I knew those simple lines and real wood was just what I needed to turn this old abandoned chest into a rustic treasure.

I removed those layers of paint, and sanded down to the raw wood, ready for staining.

I made a stain wash with some vinegar and a pad of steel wool put in a jar a few weeks ago and brushed it over the raw wood.

I loved this picture of running horses and had it printed and cut to fit at my local office supply store.

I cut the image to fit each drawer and put a base coat of white on the drawer fronts. Applied Mod Podge Image Transfer to the front of the picture and carefully smoothed it down until all the air bubbles were out.

After it dried, I wet an old washcloth and laid it on the print for a few minutes. (you can also spray it with water) Once it was damp, I rubbed it in circles, removing the pulp from the back of the image.

This picture indicates about 3 times removing the paper. I think I did it 4-5 times before satisfied enough was off without removing the print too.

I used paints on the print to blend the seams and touch up areas print may have been removed.

since the print was black and white, I wanted a little more gray to the stain. I wiped on patches of gray stain to the body of the dresser, then added pickling stain. Glaze and top coat to finish.

Applied knobs

yes, paint all over me too. Every time.

I love how the that vinegar mixture makes the wood different colors!

She's all ready for her new home!

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!

• Kim47830993
    Kim47830993

Love this. You put the gray stain on the drawer fronts as well?

Kim

• Margo Wolanczyk
    Margo Wolanczyk

Hi is it a laser or ink print?

• Pamela Field
      Pamela Field

The print was made with a laser printer specifically so the print would not run when wet. Engineer prints are inexpensive, beginning at less than $4. I usually spend less than $10 depending on the size of the project and prefer using one sheet for the image. They are not available in color though.

• DEE MCNEIL
    DEE MCNEIL

ARE YOU SAYING YOU CUT THE PRINT TO FIT EACH DRAWER AND THEN DECOPAGED THEM TO EACH DRAWER TO COMPLETE THE PICTURE. NOT SURE HOW YOU ATTACHED THE PRINT TO THE DRAWERS.

• Pamela Field
      Pamela Field

Yes. That's correct. Attached with image transfer solution not decopage. The process is the same, except image is placed face down and paper removed.

• DEE MCNEIL
    DEE MCNEIL

Oh yes,I forgot to say that your project is absolutely stunning.

• Amber
    Amber

OMSTARS! This is gorgeous! 👍 plus I am a horse lover for life so I am especially excited to see this fantastic makeover! Go Girl!

• Pamela Field
      Pamela Field

thank you so much! I was thrilled this piece went to live with a county vet at her new home.