Pamela Field
Pamela Field
  • Tulsa, OK

How to Use an Image Tranfer to Update an Old Chest

This old chest wasn't very fancy with it's layers of old paint. I knew those simple lines and real wood was just what I needed to turn this old abandoned chest into a rustic treasure.
how to use an image tranfer to update an old chest, how to, painted furniture
I removed those layers of paint, and sanded down to the raw wood, ready for staining.
I made a stain wash with some vinegar and a pad of steel wool put in a jar a few weeks ago and brushed it over the raw wood.
I loved this picture of running horses and had it printed and cut to fit at my local office supply store.
I cut the image to fit each drawer and put a base coat of white on the drawer fronts. Applied Mod Podge Image Transfer to the front of the picture and carefully smoothed it down until all the air bubbles were out.
After it dried, I wet an old washcloth and laid it on the print for a few minutes. (you can also spray it with water) Once it was damp, I rubbed it in circles, removing the pulp from the back of the image.
This picture indicates about 3 times removing the paper. I think I did it 4-5 times before satisfied enough was off without removing the print too.
I used paints on the print to blend the seams and touch up areas print may have been removed.
since the print was black and white, I wanted a little more gray to the stain. I wiped on patches of gray stain to the body of the dresser, then added pickling stain. Glaze and top coat to finish.
Applied knobs
yes, paint all over me too.  Every time.
yes, paint all over me too. Every time.
I love how the that vinegar mixture makes the wood different colors!
She's all ready for her new home!

• Annie

Hi I know it was a while ago that you did this beautiful piece and there are so many questions but could you tell me was an inkjet ar laser printer used thank you

• Michael Shea

How big was the original picture? Should the supply store cut it to the size I need? I'm a bit confused.

Thank you!

• Pamela Field

I did a search for a free image online. Had the image printed to size needed.

• Marla Jean Reynolds

What weight of paper did they print the picture on?

• Pamela Field

not sure, Marla. Whatever is standard for engineer prints? I didn't want a heavy paper, since it has to be removed.