Become a Rockstar in Under an Hour (DIY Kid's Play Canopy)

Feeling a bit like MacGuyver, I turned a hula hoop, rope, and two shower curtains into a bright and cheery play canopy tent for my son in under an hour. Starstruck, he declared me a Mom Rockstar for this simple yet impactful DIY! The best part? Finding him snuggled in his tent reading books each morning.
It started with a simple $6 hula hoop. I drilled four holes on opposing sides.
Then I used a large binder ring to gather two shower curtains together.
Back to the hula hop, I threaded four sections of rope through the holes in the hula hoop. I then gathered them in the center and hung the whole thing from the ceiling using anchors. See blog for detailed instructions on this important step!
Looking a little bland...
... so I added yellow felt pennants! Super easy to make!
Loaded in some colorful pillow and books.
Here's the final project and it truly took less than an hour. My son LOVES it! Be sure to check out the blog for detailed step-by-step instructions and smiling photos of the recipient!

Carrie MakingLemonade

• Nita

On your blog you stated that you hung the whole thing from a shower curtain hook at ceiling level, but that something sturdier might be necessary. What about a carabiner? You can find them in the outdoor section in Wal-Mart and other stores. They come in many colors and different sizes. Since they are used for mountain/rock climbing they should be sturdy enough.

• Chatycms

do you know how much weight a binder clip can hold? take a look at the weight of a ream of paper. They also sell the binder clips as clips for hanging shower curtains at my dollar store. They are a pkg of 12. You could use more than one at the top of this beautiful little space.

• Sunny Stamps

I don't see how the shower curtain is attached to the hula hoop, am I missing something? I suppose you could glue it with something...

• Mary Ellen

So that the hoop simply acts as a frame for the fabric, to hold it open in a circle shape.

• Marilyn Maracle

I have both a comment & a question ....
    FIRST AND FOREMOST ~ THANK YOU
    1.) You have made a GREAT play tent and given easy to follow directions for anyone who wants to make one .
    I especially like that it is simply hung so that it can easily be taken down/a part to clean.
    2.) For your ceiling hooks /anchors, did you use a swag lighting/plant hook so it would support the weight?

• Teresa

This is such a cute ideal .

• Joanie

I bought this shower curtain and hung it at my window in my bathroom upstairs. My floors are the same blue with white tiles. It looks terrific and I bought 2 barn, blue lights for over the mirror. It all blended together so nicely. My combining color is a peach- coral for my rugs, towells and I used shower curtains rings in the same shade to hang my curtain....it is beautiful!!