MeandMyDIY
MeandMyDIY
  • Columbia, MO

Mosaic Tile Birdbath Using Recycled DVDs

$45

Have an old birdbath that could use a face lift? Here's an easy way to add some color to your garden and recycle some of those old DVDs too! (PLEASE NOTE: I've had a lot of people mention CDs, which were NOT used for this project. I used DVDs, which will give you a different result.) Be sure to stop by my blog so you can get all the details on the products and methods I used. Before you know it, you'll be creating some stunning artwork for your garden too!

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, Even with no experience in mosaics or tiling our bird bath face lift turned out just as I had hoped Now I m thinking about all the other things I could do gazing balls garden stakes water fountains etc The sky s the limit

Even with no experience in mosaics or tiling, our bird bath face lift turned out just as I had hoped. Now I'm thinking about all the other things I could do...gazing balls, garden stakes, water fountains, etc. The sky's the limit!

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, This is what we started with Our birdbath had taken a tumble shortly after we got it and stayed in pieces for three years until recently when my husband glued them back together with some clear silicone

This is what we started with. Our birdbath had taken a tumble shortly after we got it, and stayed in pieces for three years until recently when my husband glued them back together with some clear silicone.

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, After that I used J B WaterWeld to seal the cracks and make it water tight again It s my go to method for repairing things that will be wet or underwater It s also drinking water safe so you don t have to worry about its toxicity

After that, I used J-B WaterWeld to seal the cracks and make it water-tight again. It's my go-to method for repairing things that will be wet or underwater. It's also drinking water safe, so you don't have to worry about its toxicity.

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, Did you know DVDs are constructed in two layers I separated the layers and cut up the shiny layer to achieve that stunning rainbow effect If you want a more subdued look use CDs instead

Did you know DVDs are constructed in two layers? I separated the layers and cut up the shiny layer to achieve that stunning rainbow effect. If you want a more subdued look, use CDs instead.

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, After sealing the cut DVD pieces to protect the shiny layer I used a strong clear flexible adhesive to attach them to the top and edges of the birdbath

After sealing the cut DVD pieces to protect the shiny layer, I used a strong, clear flexible adhesive to attach them to the top and edges of the birdbath.

mosaic tile birdbath using recycled dvds, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling, Covering all that work was a little scary to say the least I wasn t sure if I was using the right product and whether all that color that I loved so much would be ruined Thankfully it turned out even prettier than I imagined

Covering all that work was a little scary, to say the least. I wasn't sure if I was using the right product, and whether all that color that I loved so much would be ruined. Thankfully, it turned out even prettier than I imagined.

MeandMyDIY

• Janet chambers

Beautiful! I would also like to know how you got the purple tint? Thanks

• Sam3717403

I've wanted to do this for so long. Can I get any of these products in England? What do I need to get started please 😊

• Elaine DeLong-fuehrer

ok i really love this idea. i have a sort of 3 tiered water fountain..im planing on putting in a rose garden ..hopefully this Summer...i do glass..but ur dvd idea looks so much better and cheaper.. so what did u decide on the base? my fountain has several layers..and im trying to envision what my fountain would look like if the base were painted blue or a dark color like oiled bronze. or if i did the whole fountain with the dvd's.. my fountain is made from resin.. and needs the 1st compound u put on ur birdbath.

• Pat4038741

I have a worry about all the glue etc. used. I am afraid those toxic chemicals will leach into the water & be harmful to the birds etc. that drink from this. When I went to repair a crack in my birdbath, it was pretty difficult to find a non toxic product, when asked most product will eventually leach into the water. What about the toxic leaching?

• Anna

Once this project is grouted & sealed, nothing should be able to seep through. Be sure to use a "non-toxic" "safe for the environment" sealer. The sealer is the key.

• Kricket Webb

This is a great idea, I have a old bird bath and was looking for a way to fix it up. Did you put some sort of sealer on after the grout? and is it safe for the birds?
  • Christine

LOVE THIS!!! But this disappeared from Pinterest. I also can’t find your blog. ?? Please Help! I would love to do this project with a class, but need a supply list. Sealer, glue, grout recommended. Thanks!
  • Rhonda Wilson

I need the name of the sealants and glues and why ever elce u used pleas

• Rhonda Wilson

• Mabel Maxim

I would like to try this. please provide a project requirement list.

Would you think this would also work on a concrete bird bath?

• Cheryl Bergeron

What is the sandy looking stuff u grouted with

• Tarina

I wonder what u could use to put the tille on to make a backsplash?

• Dee Bradley

Would this mosaic work for a container to hold goldfish?

• User

Aren’t the birds frightened away by sparkles???

• Patty

It doesn't bother them

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

I was wondering the same thing! I know of people hanging old cds and dvds in fruit trees to keep the birds away...🤔

• BrokeCrazyLady

Birds are scared away the motion... the sparkle merely draws their attention to that motion. Given a short time, they become accustomed to motions that are always there.

• Habe

No. I’m almost sure they are attracted to it. I used whole CD’s on my trees to scare the birds and squirrels away and they aren’t afraid of anything. I ended not having any fruit for myself last and this year. I’ve tried almost everything

• Patty Pritchett

Habe, cover trees with netting. Only thing that seems to work in some cases, at least for the birds.

• Valerie

Do you know if the materials that DVD/CD’s are food safe for the birds and animals?

• Misha Chambers

Birds drink dirty water from gutters and the bottom tray of plants. People eat from Styrofoam and drink out of plastic. And chlorine is in city water. . I don't care what anyone says, none of it is truly safe. I'm sure the birds are fine. They're pretty lucky if they survive the neighbors cat and the mother hawk stalking them.

• Valerie

Gutters are not lined with plastic. People drink and eat from approved plastic. DVD’s/CD’s were never ment to eat or drink from. Your project is really nice, it’s just I care about all the animals that drink from my bird bath, deer, elk, chipmunks, squirrels, even a roadrunner. Really beautiful project.

• Gloria Salmanowitz

How did you seal the broken pieces of the DVDs? Did you put them into a bowl or did you lay them into your birdbath?

• Tammy

Anybody have any ideas on what you can use for a bird bath. I don't have one. I'd love to do this

• Nada Threadgate

Cheap plastic pot dishes and pots. You can cover them with paint old broken dinnerware jewellery then put groutbetweenit and either seal or paint with varnish. Depending on what finish you are looking for. Google PINTREST FOR AMAZING HINTS

• Patti

A garbage 🗑 can lid (metal or plastic). An aluminum or plastic saucer sled. A pie tin. A pot lid. An old bathroom sink. The aluminum ash catcher tray from a round charcoal grill.

• Shopkins

mixing bowl, metal tray,

• Diane Stone

Plant pots and drainage saucer. You can use plastic or terra-cotta. Glue two pots together( top of pot lids glued to each other) and then glue saucer on top of that. Then do the mosaic part

• Patty Pritchett

Deep dish pizza pan, can get really large ones on Amazon. Waterproofed clay pot saucer. You can find lists of marine safe adhesives online.

• Lesley Bradbury

I'm just starting to mosaic and started with cds which I'm liking I'm running out so bought some from local shop when I opened they aren't the lilac/purple!! I was so disappointed. The ones from Amazon how will I know? People have given me old ones but mainly silver (which can look nice just not the same) can you help please!!

• Pyesangel

She used DVD's not CD's. to get the color.

• Heather

Dvd-R's have the look you want! I am doing a picture frame right now it's coming out amazing! Good luck!

• Diane Stone

Or you can use alcohol inks on the cds and make them any color you want

• Laurie Gucinski

When it's really sunny does it get to warm for the birds? If it does, do they know they shouldn't go in?

• Patti

🤔 Birds are not stupid creatures. They can navigate cross country without mapquest, Siri, any other GPS or weather reports. They build nests from grasses, weeds, plastic, scraps of fabric. They can sense worms buried in the ground. I think they can figure out the temperature of the water in a pond or birdbath. 😉

• Patty Pritchett

The DVDs are plastic and not as hot as a metal birdbath.

• Annalee

What grout did u use plz

• Patricia

Amazing project. I love it! I've got a couple of old bird baths that I was going to clean up for spring, but now I'll clean and decorate to look beautiful.

• Patty Pritchett

This is gorgeous. I found additional info on how to do same project here:

https://www.upcyclethat.com/dvd-mosaic-method/

I'll also mention that I searched deeply online and found waterproof marine adhesives and coatings safe for wildlife and pinned the info but cannot find it.