Asked on Apr 13, 2012

We all know Granite Countertops are definitely "IN" but what do y'all think of butcher block countertops?! "IN" OR "OUT"

TammyB'Ahava DesignsPeter
+91

Butcher block countertops?! "IN" OR "OUT"?
  • I think they will never be "out" - there is always an application for them! In the right style of kitchen, the the farmhouse chic you have pictured, they are a great choice! I prefer them on an island or as an accent as opposed to the main countertops for the space.

• Sheila D

Agree, but having had one - they need to be cared for properly to stay pretty

• Sherrie S

Although I prefer granite in my house I really like the look you presented for that home. I don't think there is only one answer to in/out.

• Designs by BSB

It is in.. and it works! I own wood tops and cannot imagine life without them! No cutting boards for me! I wrote a blog about the practicality of them. They are so much easier to care for than what many understand. Wood Works! The benefits of wood counter tops | Designs by BSB https://designsbybsb.com/2010/08/wood-works/

• I do one in almost every kitchen. The house I am working on right now has black granite around, and then a BB top on the island as shown in your photo

• Catherine S

I personally like the warmer, more rustic look of wood.

• The one pictured looks like one of the good Boos Blocks. There are some very poorly done BB tops that are not worth having - made of shorts and with knots

• 3po3

Agree with some of the above. I like the look, but they seem like a lot of work.

• Butcher block countertops are timeless, and can work well in many styles of kitchens. We have installed them in many diverse styles of kitchens such as the ones on the following web pages. http://www.homeworkremodels.net/modern-ikea-kitchen.html http://www.homeworkremodels.net/historic-ikea-kitchen.html

• KMS Woodworks

We get by with our "extra" large Jatoba cutting board. At 1" thick and 18 x22 or so...it serves us well.

• Bonnie B

Not too crazy about it ~~ but ~~ I'm old enough to have been around when they were popular years ago. I'd rather see an interesting, unique marble or granite application on your island.

• Sonia R

IN!! I am SO SICK of GRANITE!!! Soap Stone is awesome too

• Karen B

I love the butcher block wood much much better, is timeless

• Linda P

Butcher block countertops are timeless and much less expensive than stone. Probably will never go "out"--my choice! I've had mine for 5 years and they still look new with no extra effort.

• Brenda B

Not everyone can afford granite and not everyone likes granite.

• Carol B

I love the kitchen in the picture. I like the white, but it needs some color as a contrast. Love a deep, rich color with the white and butcher block.

• Leona G

Granite is beautiful but expensive and is not always right for every kitchen. I say real butcher block is still in and a nice alternative to granite.

• PAULINE S

Had butcher block counter tops put in about 10 years, only just started showing a little wear. But, I plan on putting in silestone, so much easier to take care of then granite or marble.

• Rosemary N

I think they're beautiful, but I'd worry that they'd be hard to care for and to keep stains from.

• Not always. There are two ways to finish a wood countertop. First is the olden and natural with mineral oil rubbed in regularly. You need not fear using a knife on this. The other is a fil;m finish like polyurethene to give hard top surface separating between the wood and the used. This keeps stains out and wipes as easily as glass or laminate

• Designs by BSB

While maple butcher block counter tops can be competitive with granite, here in Atlanta they are still higher priced. Woods like Walnut, Tigerwood and variations of Cherry are hot sellers here too .. most of which can be 30-70% higher than main stream granite colors. I tried uploading some pictures.. but the uploader is broke! humf.

• Brian S

granite counter top with butcher block inset in an apropriatly usefull position

• Patsy B

I agree with Brian - I just put in Cambria granite with a butcher block inset - the best of both worlds.

• Lynda F

right now I have tile on my counter tops and they are hard to clean. I prefer butcher block. The last 2 homes before I moved in this home I bought had the butcher block.

• Rocco A

they are not a cutting board =) always remember that

• Designs by BSB

wood tops, not a cutting board? if that is what you meant.. I politely disagree. I have oiled tops and love not having to pull out cutting boards!

• Designs by BSB

Other examples of amazing wood top choices! These are some shots illustrate wood can work for just about any design/style! All projects are by Designs by BSB.

q we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, Tigerwood oiledq we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, Walnut oiledq we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, Saeple cherry w conversion varnish no knifes treat like furnitureq we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, Walnut with Waterlox finish homeowner bought this knowing she will have to watch for water splashes that could sit and break down the finish Since it is a butler s pantry bar area so the traffic and water use here is not highq we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, Re purposed for the remodel here The owner s maple top still had many years left to it so we had it sanded down and re oiled for her
  • See More
  • Katherine P

I prefer Quartz counter tops.

• Bonnie B

Becky Sue: Beautiful wood tops! My first post noted that BB tops were out ~~ like the one shown in the photo. Now, on the other hand, your photos are much, much, more interesting design-wise by far. Love! the dark wood one.

• Designs by BSB

Thank you for the kind compliments Bonnie! I personally dont think the first photo posted by Affordable Contracting is out of date really .. the picture may not be giving the big picture. It looks like a beautifully bright cottage style kitchen ... bigger and brighter than my current one, Id trade up for that any day :) I think one of the darker woods that I have shown to mix up the idea would have been too much contrast for this particular space.

• I like wood in the mix and am very tired of granite.

• Sherrie S

Becky Sue, your project is beautiful.

• Rocco A

Ya I would not cut on my wood tops only cause they are so pretty without knifemarks all over them not to say that you cant use them for that.

• Thanks for all of the feedback! It seems that there is a good variety of comments -- but most seem to be liking the idea of the alternative to granite. BeckySue -- we LOVE the additional wood countertop pics you have shown! Thanks for sharing and leaving us your opinions! :)

• Designs by BSB

Just remembered another project photo... White Oak with oil! Love Love Love wood! Still looks great even with cut marks IMO :)

q we all know granite countertops are definitely in but what do y all think of, countertops, home decor, kitchen design, 2 white oak with mineral oil finish
  • Anne B

Looks nice but depends what look your going for.

• Bonnie B

Becky Sue: You are quite the Design Genius ~~ ! I really admire your knowledge, creativity and talent. I am less open-minded to wood counter tops than I am wood islands. The reason? I am super fanatical when it comes to perfection and it would destroy me if the wood got marked up or stained or even burned from a hot pan. I do understand that many are true believers that the "used/worn look" of wood enhances its beauty; additionally, the more personality it acquires. Just think of me as a directly opposite kinda gal ~~ !!

• Bonnie B

Lee Anne: I do so agree with you ~~ I'm also tired of stainless steels appliances. I love my black glass Jenn Aire appliances ~~ most dramatic!

• I go stainless all the time for clients who want the latest trend, but for me personaly, always black. I love black... & stainless is cold & industrial to me in my personal space,.

• Designs by BSB

goodness Bonnie B.. thank you. My island top is due for a oiling .. going to post before/after and would love to know if you think it still looks bad :)

• Bonnie B

Becky Sue ~~ can't wait for your pictures! Just a question: If counter tops are oiled and one uses as a "cutting board", how would one successfully sanitize the top before/after use?

• Designs by BSB

treatment has been done.. just need to write it all up and post .. this is blog worthy :) will have it posted by Saturday at the lastest! oiled counter tops: essentially, the oil does most of the work. it repels water and stains. if you read the blog post below, you will learn that studies have shown that wood actually breeds like bacteria than plastic! so daily cleaning? wash cloth with dish soap .. not soaking with water. the water cant hurt it ... it will only break down the oil and equate to oiling it more often than not. I hear a lot .. how often do I need to treat it with oil? Its nearly impossible to answer based on how often you cook, clean .. and how much water comes in contact with the top! Me? I fear nothing with my tops (own a Tigerwood and a Maple top). I oil them .. and they resist nearly everything. Even wine! When I do get a stain? ... green brillo or a copper brillo saves my slip up. Most often when I do get a stain.. Im late in giving it an oil treatment. Hope this answers your question, sorry I dont know how to make it short! :) The rest of the conditions about the treatment of the oil etc will be answered in my blog .. dont hold your breath ok? hehe .. Im crazy busy this week but eager to share the process!

• Just wiping clean is al that is needed to "sanitize" Many woods contain natural anti-fungal or bacterial properties. About ten years ago a couple of studies demonstrated that wood cutting block surfaces host far fewer germs than modern plastic ones do

• Designs by BSB

Nichtler is right on.. there has been few studies.. below are a couple of links. http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm http://www.frogojt.com/Cuttingboards.pdf

• Joan P

As a cook,mom, and grandma I like to have at least one countertop with a block because I do alot of baking, and for some reason some of my family members are too lazy to get a board out !! lol

• If you knead a lot of dough, I would build your kitchen with a workspace at about 30" for that. We have a separate 30" tall "Baker's table" to work dough on.

• KMS Woodworks

When working some pastry I whip out my "marble" work surface. It is cooler so my pie doughs stay fluffy by not melting the butter as much.

• Beth C

I love butcher block in a white kitchen. I think it is a very good choice, especially for a cottage, coastal, shabby chic look.

• Hannah M

I have some oak wood that holds very sentimental value (came from a tree in my grandparents yard-their house was burned a few years back...) and would love to turn it into a small butcherblock countertop over my dishwasher, as well as some possible keepsakes (maybe a breadboard?) for some family members-I would love some instruction on how to do this, or any other ideas you may have, Becky Sue, or anyone else that could help...Thanks!:)

• Designs by BSB

Those are wonderful ideas Hannah! Sorry I am not the go to person on how to DIY with wood counter tops though. I have a trusted manufacturer that I use for all of my projects. You could google search the cabinet and/or woodworking shops in your area to find out what they would charge to make those things with your wood.

• Hannah, white oak would be fine, but avoid using red oak where it might be exposed to moiusture

• Stephanie George

I'm remodeling my kitchen next year and I'm very much considering bb countertops.

• KMS Woodworks

I build and sell extra large wood cutting boards, 20" deep by 24" or more wide. This size will still fit in my sink for rinsing etc. Being really big it lives on the counter full time. The added convenience of one of these is they can be moved, cleaned and repaired easily. I love it that they are big enough to chop just about everything you might need for an entire meal and have room to segregate items and keep working. We have nick named them the "mother board" in reference to many sci fy movies where the large mother ship commands the galaxy.

• Tracy

If you like them, they're 'in' !

• Samantha Hall

I just need these lights

• Donnakay

yes I like the clean look

• Candace Geldreich

I think butcher block is timeless....I love stone also and the look that you get when you mix these two elements is wonderfully warm.

• Jeanette S

I agree that butcher block is timeless! I would NEVER get rid of it for granite or any other surface. I only wish I could have it on all my counters. I am soon one day going to have to face what to redo my tops with and I may actually choose butcher block. I have a small island with it and absolutely adore it!

• Sharon E

Butcher block is always in!

• Carmen

Granite I hate, it is a fad that will soon fade. Expensive,it is high maintenance, must be careful of what you put on top etc. BB is timeless. Hope to remodel our kitchen and at least one counter will be BB.

• Carol

Quartz is what I just used - it will replace granite, but pricey.

• Sally Roesner Fuhr

Consider the weight your cabinets must bear with granite, marble, concrete, etc.

• Pat Cobb

Timeless. IN!

• Sherry

Will never go out of "style"...IN

• JHayes

I like stone countertops but not a fan of granite at all; it's too busy to look at. I do like sandstone but it is cost-prohibitive on my budget. I do love the look of butcher block and have been incorporating it into my kitchen. I like both butcher block and sandstone because it is timeless and durable (when properly maintained for bb).

• Kerry

👍

• Deirdre Sullivan

According to this post, butcher block is the third most popular countertop material: http://goo.gl/W2aDyL

• Kimberli Boston

Pretty..

• Gina

I like that alot, and have been thinking of doing the same thing, I mean everyone has granite, I want something different and well unique...i think it looks great.

• Rjack

I made my island with old long leaf pine from an old building. Its like butcher block but the pieces are 6-9'' wide. I love it. Everyone that comes in the house loves it. It doesn't have any type of finish other than mineral oil. I was told to use a 1/2 & 1/2 cleaner of vinegar & peroxide then rub mineral oil on top. All is non-toxic. Works fine. If it gets scratched I just lightly sand it. Should last forever. I'm not a granite person anyway. Do love my Silestone - lots of choices & easy to take care of.

• Crys

In

• GwenD

what kind i use to replace a kitchen table top, to make it rain proof for outside on my deck?

• Sherrie Slaboda

I just replaced my old ugly countertops and I chose Quartz for a couple reasons: choice of color and non porous. The non porous part was the most important to me. My countertop is beautiful and totally maintenance free.

• Deb Laber

Definitely in. I wouldn't want a whole kitchen full, but as an accent or special work area it rocks!

• Sharon La Tour

IN!!!!!!

• Lizzy L

"Busy" granite is out. Quartz is in. Butcherblock islands are in.

• Karen Mccollum

I'm into the new concrete conter tops. I'll be posting my before and after pictures..watch karenmccollumkm@gmail.com

• Terra Gazelle

I love the butcher block counters. They can be very modern or cottage/Farm house. I think I would not want them with too much wood..but if the floor is tile I think wood counters would not be too much. I love the depth of some of the granite.some are too busy, but some are not. I also like Quartz..

• Barb

I have read several articles that say granite is out. One of the things they say is in is butcher block. I think it looks great and am considering it myself.

• Jeanette S

I have butcher block on my island and if I were to change out my counters (which I am not inclined to get into at my age...LOL) I would pick butcher block. I LOVE IT! We put on a new, larger top a year or so ago and we sealed it with a wax recommended for it. I use Clorox Kitchen Cleaner to wipe it down. As for what to put in your kitchen...follow your own taste. What is in is out and what is out is in and what is whatever will be the big thing next year...and then gone again...and back in another few years...this I have learned from being in a house 45 years!

• Candace Boyer

Who cares if it's in or not! Go with what you like. You can't go wrong, they are all beautiful.

• Dfm

if you are going to stay in the house- do what you prefer....if you are flipping the house- do the latest and greatest. each type of counter top has advantages and disadvantages. it's a personal choice- what disadvantage can you cope with? what ones drive you nuts?

• JHayes

If you're living in your house and you like it what difference does it make. Decorate and ship your house to your taste. I wasn't sure if I could live the maintenance on a butcher block countertop but after installing one on the cook/prep side of my kitchen I was amazed to see that not only is it beautiful but easy to care for. Now I just to see the pros & cons of installing near my kitchen sink as I'd now like to install on the opposite side of the kitchen. For the record my kitchen, house and decorating style is definitely cottage/country.

• Lizzy L

Actually, unless it's a solid color or looks like marble, granite is out! Butcher block can work in the right space - just don't pair it with brown cabinets. For stone, go with quartz, one of the white marbles, or concrete.

• Lizzy L

Yes, always get what you like, but be aware of trendy looks vs design that stands the test of time. Especially if you ever consider selling.

• Darlene Somerville

Butcher Block is gaining popularity in the design world as a unique countertop choice. I have used it on islands but plan to do my next flip property with it for the counter tops as well. You don't have to just stain them wood color & seal, you can stain them gray to make them different. Either way, butcher block is very pretty used as a kitchen counter, enjoy!

• Carolyn Simmons

I think the butcher block counter tops would be beautiful !! Do what makes you happy !! 😉

• Jean Darnell

I personally don't care for it. I'm looking at an older home to buy and the counters look so dated. What are the alternatives without tearing up the counter?

• SamSandez

Although butcher block countertops provide traditional charm, it may easily get scratches. Hence I prefer granite kitchen countertops. It is because you can use granite in any way. Even if you cut something on granite, it won't damage the surface as it is heat and scratch resistant. I have been using charcoal granite kitchen countertop ( https://stoneclone.ca/resurfacing-colors/ ) at home for the past 20 years. Till date, it looks new. It is easy to maintain.

• Peter

As done ther, IN... But keep the surface fresh looking and well oiled as protection.
  • B'Ahava Designs

do u really want what’s in or out? I believe that it’s more important to have what u like, depending on how long u plan to be in ur home. If u r concerned re resale value, then it does matter. If, however, u r in ur forever home as I am (23.5 years and counting) what u like is more important.
  • Tammy

I LOVE butcher block and in my book it will always be in style...stone is NOT for everyone. It's too temperater. Butcher block is not.

• Your comment...