Berma M
Berma M
  • Eustace, TX
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Bouquets

Lisa CBerma MDonna Shipley
+7

My fresh cut flowers wilt after the first day how do I keep them firm? They are still pretty just wilt. I do have a picture of this years batchelor buttons yet but they do it also.
Russian Sage
Russian Sage
cabbage leaf coneflower
cabbage leaf coneflower
Yarrow and daisies
Yarrow and daisies

Berma, see my post with pointers from Valentine's Day. While I specifically was talking about roses, the tips apply to all plants: http://www.hometalk.com/902583/getting-the-most-from-valentine-s-day-flowers

• Gail Salminen

@Berma M do check out @Douglas Hunt post, it is quite enlightening. When you pick your flowers from the garden, use a pail with water so that when you cut them they do directly into water, then follow Douglas' instructions. Let us know how it works for you.

• Lisa C

cut them in the am before it is too hot then put them in luke warm water(goes up the stem faster. Give a fresh cut just before putting in water. Make sure your vase is clean after washing I swish a little bleach water in all of mine to kill bacteria and leave the bleach water residue don't rinse. some flowers just don't do well cut so test different ones and have fun!

• Donna Shipley

Don't know if it works, but I remember seeing someone use vodka to get tulips to stand up. They didn't mention using it on other flowers.

• Cathy W

Donna, I think the vodka was for drinking! Tulips should be re-cut under water, at an angle. Add a half of packet of Floral Preservative to the water. The angle cut will keep the flower from sitting flat on the vase, thus causing water blockage. My favorite "wive's tale" is adding a copper penny to vase of tulips. Sometimes it works, sometimes not! All flowers should be done this way! Except for the penny! (Again, sip the vodka, don't waste it in the flowers!!!)

• Donna Shipley

I promise they put the vodka in the tulip water and were very serious about it but I can no longer find the reference. I did, however. fine several comments about it being a waste of liquor... Sorry about the misinformation :(

• Cathy W

Donna, If it's on the internet "it must be true"! LOL

• Donna Shipley

Yeah.. LOL

• Berma M

I have always taken the bucket of water to the garden and put them straight into that (because I never know how long I will be there). The vodka is like the bleach kills bacteria, and I add the sugar to feed the flowers, but it is random and especially yarrow just after one day will droop and there is know recovery. Daisies too droop but yarrow is bad like there is a certain stage in the bloom that is better than other stages to cut. The red yarrow I would like to cut while it is red before it turns yellow but that is when it tends to wilt. I have not read your link Douglas but I will. Thanks I will keep you posted.

• Lisa C

your right vodka or any liquor will cause tulips to stand but so will a cool water and tulips are the only flower to continue to grow after being cut up to 5 inches!