Carol S
Carol S
  • Warwick, RI
Asked on Jun 17, 2013

Unknown Purple Plant.

Margie  NewmanAliceGladys Ruben
+99

I repotted this purple plant and put it outside for the summer & fall. I don't know it's name. I love the vibrant color and the Pink flowers on the end of the stems. It is growing like crazy. Stems break off so easily. Can I pinch this it back with out damaging it? It will probably root in water.
crazy out of control plant.
crazy out of control plant.
q unknown purple plant, flowers, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

Hi, Carol! You have a lovely tradescantia pallida purpurea, commonly know as Purple Heart, Purple Queen or Wandering Jew (what I call my husband when he's lost!). Here's some info so you can read up on it! http://growingguides.com/PlantGuides/PurpleHeartCuttings.pdf

You have "Purple Queen," Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea.' Pinch away. It's a very resilient plant.

• Nancy Hand

Good ole Wandering Jew!

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

my mom has a ton of this purple queen is what she calls it

• Rachel Medina

I used to have that when I live in San Antonio, Texas- we called it Wandering Jew:)

• Stephanie

WANDERING JEW

• Stephanie

PINCH AND REPLANT IT TAKES EASILY -LA

• Carol S

Thank you all - I will pinch it back - Purple Queen sounds nice. I have had a Purple Passion plant before - and a though I can't recall what a Wandering Jew plant looks like - exactly - I know it doesn't resemble this baby.

• Lori J

I think that wandering jews come in different colors. I remember a variety that was variegated.

• Carol S

Well - I guess you are all correct - I just Googled, images of Wandering Jew Houseplant and OMG - not only was it there but so were Spider Plants, a hosts of other completely different varieties. I also have the variagated, thinner leaf variety, which grows differently deepending on the container and available lighting.

• Namaws

purple wandering jew

• Laurie

we have this all around north Texas. We call it Purple Heart. The botanical name is Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea'. It is hearty to a zone 7b or 8a and very drought tolerant.

• Eunice W

I see everyone has already told you what it is.

• Rusty

This is of the wandering jew family but I was taught by my mother it was called "Lady in a boat".

• MaeGatineau

this is so great to fill in your flower pots it grows like a weed i put it out all summer than save some to make a plant inside all winter so i have it for next year ,mine is green and purple

• Cathy Kurpil

Looks so pretty, I have a few of these, and yes indeed they DO love to wander :)

• Ester Age

I just planted some this weekend, see how it goes :)

• Tracey T

Wandering Jew

• Peg

It's one of the varieties of "setcreasa", wandering jew is from the same genus. This is a "Purple Heart" as Laurie said. It is getting popular up here in the nurseries to put out as an annual, then it can be saved indoors through the winter like I do. Mix it with other color foliage, it makes a nice accent plant.

• MaeGatineau

i have a green one that goes crazy also they call it a wandering jew also

q unknown purple plant, flowers, gardening, i have a green one that goes crazy also they call it a wandering jew also
  • Carol S

I rooted cuttings from the prolific Purple Queen and 2 other varigated Wandering Jew plants. Now, I have 2 PQ's in the temp garden in the back yard, along with two bunches of pale green Sedum. Busy little bee am I.

• Peg

You asked if you can pinch it back...yes, especially if you don't want it to get too leggy and wan tit to fill out. Unless it's in a hanging basket and you want it to hang down and need some length. Root some in water so you can have it next year. I got a pinch from someone years ago, still have it growing and I share the excess.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Purple Heart is perennial here for us in zone 7b. I love paring it with Margurite Sweet Potato vine because I love purple and yellow together in the garden. In this pot though I decided to try some red with the purple. I was trying to mimic the colors in the broken gazing globe. I had some yellow million bells in that totally tanked so I replaced them with some orangish lantana which has yet to start blooming.

q unknown purple plant, flowers, gardeningq unknown purple plant, flowers, gardening
  • Tracey T

@360 Sod (Donna Dixson) I never thought of using this invasive plant this way. Thanks you have given me a new like of Wandering Jews..

• Melina

The name of this plant is cycrisha. Common name is purple heart.

• Nancy Sauer

Down south we call it a purple jew

• Sherry F

I have a lot of this in flower pots around my yard. I don't know if anyone else has kept it inside, but I use to have several pots of it in my classroom. The plants that were inside were always green in color and would never turn purple I don't know why. Someone asked about pinching it back. I do this all the time by breaking it at one of the joints on the stems. If you do this you can stick it down in the dirt and it will root itself.

• MaeGatineau

@Sherry F i keep a plant indoors in winter and give anyone who wants a piece to start a plant of their own and its a great filler in pots

• Peg

There are so many pants that are considering weeds or invasive depending where you live. If they don't have a purpose in the gardens, they might have a purpose in a planter as an accent plant. I hate throwing any plant out, my trimmed houseplants get a second life in a pot outside. I love to mix textures and colors.

• Stephanie

I LIVE IN ZONE 9 LOUISIANA....CAN I PUT THIS AROUND MY MAIL BOX? IT WILL BE IN FULL SUN ALL DAY.

• Carol S

@Sherry F - This particular plant sat in our picture window all winter. It needs direct sun light to stay purple. I actually put it & cuttings in the ground w&wo new roots. I am going take cuttings this fall and have one plant inside,just in case we have a really hard winter. I just really lover the color. Don't you? @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) - Love your Planter ideas. I may also make a pot of purple perennials, hmm the wheels are spinning. LOL

• Sherry F

@Stephanie - Actually I got my plants from my mother in law who lives in LA. She has these in the ground around some of her trees as ground cover

• Caroline

Wandering Jew

• Joe Strachan

This is a ground cover. Just plant it in the ground and it grows. Beautiful.. You can also grow it in pots. I can't remember the name but I bought one for my neighbor thinking it was the jew but when I paid for it she said it was a ground cover. She planted it in the ground around her tree and it is so pretty..

• MaeGatineau

my niece had one on the top of her cupboard and it hung down the side almost to the floor it looked very nice she kept it cut to keep it looking nice

• Vickie

I have heard it called little man in a boat because of the shade of the flower. Also I have heard it called jew so......

• Carol S

Thanks,@Vickie . It is lovely, prolific, hardy & a perennial. All things I like in any plant.

• wandering Jew or spiderwort family (Commelinaceae) consists of 41 accepted genera (APG III) Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3023/#ixzz2bD7DcOJj

• Yes, Carol. You can pinch the wandering jew back without damaging it. If a piece breaks off, poke your finger in the dirt and add that piece back in. I have that plant in about 6 areas in my yard all started from the same plant. In Texas, it sometimes dies in the extreme heat of the summer but always comes back.

• Dolores

In South Africa we call it the wandering jew, its sister plant is green.

• S.venkatesan

It is a crotons plant .,it spreads and grows very fast even a cutting thrown on ground will easily picks up root.In india it is grown on border of a grass lawn in parks and gardens.

• Lee Watkins

In the south, we call it purple Jew. Very hardy!

• Penny Fleming

Wandering Jew is what I've heard it called all my life,usally you can just pinch off and share and it take's right back off growing without root fertilizer.

• Joan deMontmollin

In my part of the South.. it's is known as..MOSES-in -the-Bulrush plant or Moses in the Cradle plant.. our Wandering-jew plants are more of a flat leaf creeper plant,purple underleaf with green/silver sripe on upperside of leaf..small pink flowers.

• Tracey T

@Joan deMontmollin I think what you are talking about is called Trade Zebrina, also known as wandering jew. It makes a beautiful hanging plant!

• Shelby24019

This is in the Tradescantia (spiderwort) family. I can't remember exactly what this particular one is called. But I live in zone 6 in VA and it has grown outside fine for me for 10 years or more.

• Liliana Wells

I have heard it called Moses in the Pulpit. Either way, it grows very quickly; but dies off in the winter in Zone 8. It comes back in the Spring. I have mine in two pots because I don't want it to wander around the yard.

• Sylvia Parish

You can plant directly in the ground and train to grow around and around until appears like a bush,,I prefer the variegated wandering Jew as it is softer and thicker \

• Leola Zakos

wandering jew and it is so easy to grow and root

• Sharonhenager

Purple jude that what we call in Texas

• Norma

I Bleeding Heart

• Diane Ray

I also have one of this plants it is NOT a wandering jew.wandering jews are fuzzy leafed and shaped differently I did cut mine back in stuck in water and it sprouted grows like crazy.

• Carol S

Thank you all. Would you classy it as "invassive"? I mean should I give it it's own spot? Or does it plant well with others?

• Stephanie

yes, its invassive..... give it its own spot if you leke everything in its place. i like everything all mixed to together.

• Shelby24019

I have it growing in two different areas and it has never been invasive. But then too I am always sharing mine with friends.

• Tammy EL Shafey

I have always known this plant to be a purple passion i have one big one on my balcony here in Egypt and have several to pot up the are easy to start and are ver adaptable i also had one in the USA as did my mom as i was growing up. I get pinl flowers on this plant love it.

• G B

Have several; some in the yard and a large potted one in the house. Needs sun to retain purple leaves otherwise they turn green. Love my plant.

• Lynne Heller

Purple Heart (Setcresea pallida) is a name commonly used forWandering Jew Plant that has purple blossom. It is generally classified as a Tradescantia and comes from a family of Commelinaceae. Purple Wandering Jew has a very breakable stems and grows up to 12 inches tall. It resists light frosts and grows the best in partial shade, but it survives almost in any condition. This plant originates Lousiana, Florida and Eastern Mexico, but today is found growing all over the world. It requires moderate water, but grows well in dry conditions also. Putting stems in the ground will grow a new plant. This plant thrives in high humidity and can survive in tough conditions. Purple Heart is a plant that multiplies quickly. It makes an excellent house plant which requires minimum care. If planted outside, during freezing temperatures this plant will die but will return back in the spring. Purple Heart Wandering Jew makes an excellent ground cover plant.

• Jmarie813

...This grows like weeds in Florida. -we call it 'purple crap.'

• Louis Lieberman

If it's what I think, " WANDERING JEW'

• Betty Swift

Definitely setcrecia. Beautiful plant. Not invasive.

• Catherine Lee

Very easy to plant, just plug n plant it... n it is type of herb as well. Boil with water n add / without rock sugar, nice drink n good health.

• MaeGatineau

Its in the wandering Jew family (purple Queen)

• Brenda Malcolm

Moses in the Cradle is a popular house plant, related to the Wandering Jew

• Sandra Farmer

It is called Moses in a cradle

• Patricia

I have some of this plant as a house plant only. It's too cold here for it to be outside in the winter. But I take all my house plants outside for the summer. I've been wanting to know what it is. THank you.

• Diane Rose

We call it a wandering Jew.

• Margie Newman

I live in Florida........we call this a purple queen plant!!! I have started many new ones, cut off a shoot, plant in pot and keep them moist and in shade!!! They root in no time!!! They do die down in the winter!!! Don't worry...clean all the dead branches and leaves away.. in the spring they are back bigger and better than ever!!!

• Cyndi Neumann

These so root in water very easy! Just take the broken stem and put in water and you wil get roots in no time at all! Smiles, Cyndi

• Joanne Barlow Covell

it is called a Wandering Jew

• Genna Scartaccini

this is different from what we call wandering Jew out in the southwest it is larger with a different shaped leaf. I have always known this plant as Moses in the Cradle. It grows outside most of the time ( 3 seasons) but will not take a hard freeze

• Trisha S

It is "Purple Heart" and can be potted or as a ground cover. It will die off in winter (if very cold) and will come back in the summer. I have some in the ground and in a pot (that goes into the green house).

• Rose Martin

I've heard it called Joseph coat

• White Oak Studio Designs

I put mine out in the full Michigan sun the summer months and it blooms like crazy. I take it in the house in the winter and dies back but comes right back when put outside again. I've been giving this plant away for years!

• Beverly Gray-Alexander

Its called wandering Jew if you live in Texas.

• Kelly Sharber

I have this around my flag pole its beautiful and returns yearly, in the south we call it a purple love plant. or wondering jew, as posted. wonderful plant to grow.

• Helen D

@Carol, this plant is Tradescantia or Wandering Jew, and is extremely adept at rooting itself in water or damp earth. It is not hardy out of doors all year unless you live in a sub-tropical climate but makes a great little houseplant indoors during the fall and winter. Be cruel in your pruning, it can take it and flourish!

• June Ramsey

Helen D Is correct .Its one I kept for many years. I live in the North East , and lost it and many plants that I moved ,out of my Mothers Flower beds in Fla. after she passed away. Do to any ice storm ,that left us with out heat for 20 days. I should start another one.As it let Mom grow on in my summer garden.

• MaeGatineau

if you have it outside its best you keep it in a hanging basket or it will spread ,,i had one years ago and would start a small plant to bring inside at the end of summer to have for outside the next year,i do that to a few other plants also

• Jerri Corn

Purple Passion!

• Susie

Setcreasea purpurea - also known as Purple Heart of Mexican Hearts & Flowers

• Shelley

You can't kill it. I have seen it survive freezing temps and sweltering heat.

• Vicky J

Wandering Jew here in TN. I have some in my flower beds and it dies out in winter, comes back in spring. Looks beautiful planted as a background for wave petunias.

• Aunt Hilda

purple passion is what I grew up calling it, it is in the "wandering jew" family, I believe....

• Marz Bo

Well, I agree it does look like it is from or part of the "Wandering Jew family" @"Aunt Hilda" but I think if you would perhaps change its container and nip its ends perhaps you will have better control, . like the "Wandering Jew" this is a running plant which will grow out of its pot if you don't trim it back periodically..

• Popefrances

A form of wandering jew. It is hard to get rid of once it's started. I thought I had it all out before we added cement porch. It came back between the house and the porch.

• Carol Harris

I love this plant, my neighbor has one in a big pretty pot, she leaves it outside all winter and it comes back, its the easiest no care plant I have ever seen. Its different than the Wandering Jew my mother use to have.

• Camille Carlin

Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart' - is a species of spiderwort more commonly known as Wandering Jew

• Darwin

Darwin Wenzler, Pensacola, Fl The correct name is "Setcreasea Purpurea"

• Juanell Hollingsworth

It will root either in water or just stick it back in the dirt.

• SHIRLEY TAPLEY

I HAVE ONE THAT WAS GAVE TO ME LAST YR.A LADY GAVE ME JUST ONE STEM OF HERS ANOW I HAVE A BIG POT OF IT IT MAKES LIGHT BLUE BLOOMS I KEEP IT OUTSIDEIN THE WINTER AND COVER IT UP WITH BLANKET WITH MY OTHER PLANTS FLOWERS. YOU CAN REPOT THEM OR BREAK OFF STEM AND PLANT IN DIRT,OR POTTING SOIL, OR WATER IT ROOTS VERY EASY.

• Anna Ibarra

They will take easy, Had so many in my backyard and they just take off, so I only had them potted and will still multiply but potted will be easier to handle. Never had problem no even during winter and I left outside, but this winter, many died, or think they did. I was out few weeks ago cleaning up the winter damage and some looks as if they are coming back.

• Michelle D'Angelo

it looks like sweet potato vine

• Debbie Dillon

Moses in the Bull Rush, Is what it is called.

• Louis Lieberman

it's"WANDERING JEW'

• Shailaja

I agree with Mr. Leiberman. It is Wandering Jew 'Purpurea' (Tradescantia pallida) popularly called Purple Heart. The plant requires bright light for good leaf colour. Will grow in lower light, but the leaves will be more green than purple. Yes, you can pinch off new stem tips to promote branching and keep the plant compact.

• Gladys Ruben

yeah wandering jew, you can cut it to the knubbies and it will grow back o long as watered

• Alice

This is a purple wondering Jew we had this where I worked love the plant.

• Alice

Yes you can pinch it back and put in water to root or put in dirt.

• Margie Newman

I live in Florida. We call this purple queen. Wandering Jew has some dark green and burgundy leaves. Purple queen is a wonderful plant. Last season, I started 20 plants from cuttings in vermiculite and light potting soil; they all took. You do have to keep them moist especially in heat. Don't drowned them!!! They die back in the frost and come back every year!!! Enjoy!!!