Janice H
Janice H
  • Poughquag, NY

making a flower garden with very little sun

Debi MGarden InspireDouglas Hunt
+9

I'm not sure how much sun you mean by very little, Janice, but in terms of annuals, the best bet for shade remains the rather ubiquitous impatien. If you're thinking of perennials, here are some that will take all-day shade: baneberry, brunnera, lily of the valley, Solomon's seal (the variegated form is particularly nice), pulmonaria and tiarella, or foam flower.

• Janice H

i have a lot of maple trees that shade my front yard very little sun

The suggestions I gave you should work in deep shade. Another for the list: epimedium. You are not going to have a showy flower garden in those conditions, but you can have a beautiful mix of plants with small flowers and a wonderful combination of foliage and textures.

• Pam

Douglas, could she use hostas and geraniums. I wish I had shade because I like the shade plants best. But, alas have to work with what I have. Unfortunately, it's all sun and lots of it.

Pam, hostas would certainly be an option. Those with golden foliage, like "August Moon," can really light up a shady space. I doubt that geraniums would be happy.

• Erica Glasener

Janice, Hostas are great for shade but not dry shade. Douglas has a good suggestion with Epimediums. You could also try hellebores and the wonderful variegated Solomons Seal. I have Solomon's Seal and the native Christmas fern in dry shade and it does well.

• Pam

Thanks. love your advise.

• Janice H

thank you so much for all the advice.Because of deer liking hostas i couldn't use them.Looking forward to planting this weekend Thanks Douglas,ready to shop.

It's prime time for planting where you are, Janice. Enjoy!

• Debi M

I love my shade garden. I have a huge magnolia tree in my yard so I also have to be careful of what I plant on the south side of my home. I miss my maple tree. Hurricane Irene took it last August : (

• Garden Inspire

Some other shade lovers: Perennials - Coral Bells (Heuchera), Spiderwort (Tradescantia), Columbine (Aquilegia), Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis), Violets (Viola), and true Geranium (Geranium - not Pelargonium the bright colored flower grown as an annual in cooler climates) Annuals - Begonias, Pansies (Viola), Coleus Groundcovers - Sweet Woodruff (Galium), Veronica (low growing - not spike varieties)

• Debi M

There are also varieties of caladiums that do well in the shade. The showy leaves offer color. I love the hellabores because the flower lasts so long. On one side of my shade garden I planted gladiolas and they are doing great. Naturally, by this post you can see that I have a partial shade garden.