Anita H
Anita H
  • Miles, TX

Can anyone tell me what this is. It has yellow flowers before the seeds pod opens.

PatPaulineJeanne Dunham
+57

Before the seeds blow away!
Before the seeds blow away!
  • Pam

Looks like dandelions. It's a weed and very invasive. Those are the seed and are carried by the wind. Whereever they fall they root and spread like wild fire.

• Amy Q

so pretty it's different from dandelion, can't wait for someone to tell what is this.

• Lisa K

~ As a child, I used to see these blowing with the wind. I would catch it very gently, close my eyes, make a wish and then blow it away. It was rare to see one blowing in the wind so it was a big deal. I am curious to know what this is as well. This is the first time I have actually seen it as a flower. ~

• Kate N

Bohemian thistle I think, but they don't have thistles, that just what I have always heard them called

• Lisa K

The seed head is 3" across and spectacular in the sunlight. Taken with Vivitar 135mm f2.8 lens and Canon FD-25 extension tube. Tragopogon, also known as salsify or goatsbeard, is a genus of flowering plants in the sunflower family Asteraceae that has over 140 species, including the vegetable known as salsify, as well as a number of common wild flowers, some of which are usually regarded as weeds.

• Pam

Lisa, that definitely looks the same as the picture above.

Anita, you should Google yellow goatsbeard and see if that's what your plant looked like before it went to seed.

• Susanne M

douglas...got to love you....so very informative!! thank you!!

• Barbara L

its a dandelion... we have them here atm and they are definately a pest...

• Barbara L

if you want to get rid of them you can mow them over while they are flowers... if you mow tem when they are the feathery each of the "feathers" holds seeds and you spread them... so if they are not flowers you have to pull them out by hand...not mow them...

• Karen W

Dandelion...I have heard that the young plant leaves are good in salad or the flowers make good Dandelion wine...never tried either myself

• Melissa L

Milkweed? Their pods are 3" long.

• Debbie C

I have wild Golden rods that come up from no where and the turn into those when they stop flowering right before they die !! They are very very Invasive !!

• Cynthia T

Dandelions??? Hardly. Lisa is correct.....Definitely GOATSBEARD.....not even closely related to dandelions..check any wildflower book and you will find it. Lovely flower and lovely fruit...But unfortunately,just another invasive European plant...this country is full of them.

• Jeannie M

It doesn't have dandelion leaves

• Vivian S

Definitely not dandelions. Dandelions have a broad toothy leaf. These leaves are narrow and spiky. Additionally their seed heads are twice as full and are rarely over 12" tall.

• Sherie S

they are dandelions they are pest but you can make tea from them very good tea to in joy

• Christina R

Goatsbeard

• Rose S

If it has slightly purple flowers, then I am going with Thistle. They can be so very invasive. I wasn't smart enough to get rid of the first one, because I liked the blossoms. It took me forever to eradicate it, and am glad that I did.

• Geri R

This is a flower, wildflower can't remember but i to believe that it is a goat's beard. comes in alot of wild flower mixes, will stick for awhile so if you don't want them, diggin up before seed blows away.

• Bhall

Dandelion? Allium?

• Christy B

Looks like dandelion to me too.

• Dianne

shoes??? or did you select the wrong photo?

• Karen M

looks like a cleome after the flower part dies.

• Diana S

My children's greatgrandmother used to have me pick one and spray it with Hairspray to preserve it as they are beautiful... Yup, it's a weed, but rare nowadays...

• Diana S

It's in the Dandelion family and is not milkweed...

• Vivian S

Here's a cool video of a dandelion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_QqtXoyQw

• Joann S

Wild salsify. It has a yellow flower and a seed ball about 3 inches across. Hope this helps.

• Carol M

I vote for goatsbeard..I have lots of dandylions, the structure and leaves are totally different. would like to see the flower..

• Carol M

also dandelion has one flower each stalk, this has many...

• Linda

Goatsbeard. It's evident by the foliage in the photo. They are very pretty if you pick it carefully and spray it with hairspray or clear coat spray. Makes a nice detail in an arrangement.

• Anita H

Thanks everyone. I found pics of goatsbeard that are exactly like this. I think every flower is a 'weed'. It's just that people decided which ones they did or didn't like. I like these. So, I call them a flower! LOL.

• Eileen S

Looks like goatsbeard to me. Whenever we see them in the neighborhood we spray them with weed killer before they spread into our garden.

• Holly B

You should blow the fluff off and make a wish:)

• Cheryl J

A weed is just a plant that was not intended to be where it is...

• Rebecca W

a dandiolion.

• Marsha B

It is Wild Salsify....also known as Goatsbeard : )

Glad you have your answer, Anita.

• Naomi R.

Re: Joann S. Yes, I had totally forgotten about the yellow flower. So glad, yes, I was racking my memory in vain.

• Rebecca D

Anita, Might have Yarrow, (picky leaves) or something close to that family. Pretty sure I had them both. I plucked em!

• Marie

It's a dandelion and you really don't want them in your yard. Don't blow those fluffy seeds around either. Very invasive and will cover your yard, your neighborhood and your whole town if you don't stop them!!!

• Charlene Knight

It may very well be Dandelions, It is a weed.

• Anna Garris

dandelion

• Lynette daugherty

Not a dandelion..the leaves are long and piercing and the seeds are like umbrellas I think its a milk weed..depends on where you found it. I grew up with them on the plains of Montana

• Reggie

Break the stem. If it is milky inside, it is probley milkweed.

• TinaG

My first thought was Dandelions that I saw out West but the "leaves" remind me of Allium. Could be!

• Marge

Look up Goats Beard.

• JustSue

Right Marge...it looks like Western Goat's Beard. http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/goatsbrd.htm

• Paula Edmonds

Milk weed...in the late 50's there was a craft of spraying them with hair spray and then spraying them lightly with spray paint...they were pretty.

• Paula Edmonds

forgot to say...they made flower arrangements with them.

• Loreata Meredith-Saenz

Does it have thorny stems and on the undersides of the leaves? If so, it is what my mother called milk thistle. We would pull them up and feed to our ducks. They love the thorns.

• Ali6463307

Marge - if this isn't a dandelion (weed) !

• Marge

@Alisam7 Its Goats Beard, they are a lot taller and the leaves are way different than a dandelion. and they are considered a weed!

• Gloria

I totally agree with Alisam and Marge. It describes the dandelion perfectly. When they're in the flowering stage, many people pick and cook the dandelion greens and eat them. I haven't, so you might want to do some research.

• Gale

Dandelion

• Jeanne Dunham

Dandelion

• Jeanne Dunham

Dandelion

• Pauline

Dandelion. We used to make wishes with them.

• Pat

Definitely a Dandelion .... a pesky weed!!!! Finally getting rid of all but a few on our 2 acres .... after 19 years!!