Kari McCallister
Kari McCallister
  • Jacksonville, NC
Asked on Jun 27, 2013

I am stuck with burgundy carpet. What color do I paint the walls?

BarbHolly CrumLisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
+6

I have burgundy carpet and pine wood furniture in the den. Can't afford to update everything but I really need to paint. Any suggestions?
  • Stacy Cobb

ugh whats under the carpet? can u post a picture of the burgundy carpet?

• Kari McCallister

I have no idea what is under it but right now pulling it up is not an option.

• How about green taupes? Even slate gray with golden hues would work with burgundy! You might be surprised how well it can be a paired even with sheer eggplant paint & neutral accents! See this blog for more tips: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2012/11/burgundy-gets-a-makeover/

• Sfg178760

First I suggest a throw rug as a center the room/furniture...to take the eye away from the burgundy carpet! I have put a rug on carpet This way you can go any color...just pretending the carpet is like a wood floor....but I would not go too crazy. Or get a carpet with a bit of burgundy in it...but with other colors you may like....like orange, grey or even a turquoise! Good luck would love to see before and after photos! Okay...not sure if I answered your question....but I have a question...are you talking about painting the furniture or the walls? I think if you do not get a throw rug and just paint the walls...use the same concept. Pick a color you like and then get accents around the room that bring both the wall color and the carpet color into them like throw pillows and nic-nacs! Still good luck! Just one more thing...to REALLY answer your question. I like the grey idea...and grey is very in right now...and even a taupe but do not go to dark with it as the carpet is dark already. Now...I am done! o)

• Barbara Thomas

I loved my burgundy carpet in an old Victorian I had. I had light celery green walls and threw in some purple pieces with my slightly darker green couches. Found perfect green sheer material that had a faint big purple flower and made floor to top of window curtains showing the wood frame. Accented with gold.

• A golden yellow color goes great !

• Holly Crum

Blur in u
  • Holly Crum

Blue in u
  • Barb

I personally would go Asian style with an oriental rug with red black and burgundy in it and place it under the coffee table and paint the walls a light yellow color this will be your starting color building theme then add throw pillows and candle stick holder etc in accordating colors.