Asked on Jun 15, 2016

What product is best to clean wood furniture before painting

Agnes ChrzanowskaLora Taylor HyattCK
+7

I'm looking for product recommendation for cleaning wood prior to chalk paint.
    Janet Pizaro

I would just use white vinegar and water. This way to will not be any residue left after cleaning.

• Ten2286398
    Ten2286398

TSP (trisodium phosphate) - sold in the paint aisle of Lowes.

• Glenda Jansons
    Glenda Jansons

Warm water and dawn dish soap. Then wipe down with plain water. Make sure you allow it to dry before you paint

• Louise
    Louise

You might try Method brand wood floor cleaner. It removed from my new wood floor outdoor dirt and greasy patches near the oven and sink. Method is plant-based, non-toxic, biodegradable--yes it's for sealed hardwood or laminate yet I think it might get up old gunk on dirty furniture. But with chalk paint you really don't have to have the wood clean, that's the beauty of chalk paint. Yesterday I dragged an old bar stool out of the barn and did not even wipe it down before painting. If, however, you're looking for a super smooth finish, you're probably going to sand, and if you sand, why bother to scrub clean? At least, that's my experience and my understanding, with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint; I wouldn't be able to speak to other chalk paints. I know there are other, new brands of chalk paint out there now.

• Louise
    Louise

The TSP does remove everything sticky, have to say.

• Teresa
    Teresa

This is the product I use on my floors Bona. But if the finish is in good shape that is all you need to use if the finish is coming off remember it will be the underlay for you new finish so you will only need to sand if there is a problem. good luck hope this helps Teresa http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bona-128-oz-Hardwood-Cleaner-WM700018159/202528507

• CK
    CK

TSP or if not really really dirty, I use dish soap in warm water. Rinse, let dry completely, paint. Enjoy!

• Lora Taylor Hyatt
    Lora Taylor Hyatt

I use awesome on everything I want stripped clean. You can get a good size bottle of it at the dollar tree for $1.00

this stuff even removes soot. I salvaged all kinds of stuff from a fire.

awesome is awesome and cheap!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

clorax wipes will do trick