Rachelle Morris
Rachelle Morris
  • Canada

I Would Like to Redo My Stairs...

Originals by RhondaPhil MillerDebra Peters
+14

Since I am redoing my back stairs, it got me thinking about my front stairs, however... they are covered in ceramic tile. This tile is also on the entry at the bottom of these stairs and about the same number of stairs going down from the same entry to our basement. I have been looking online, but I would love some advice from all of you! Would it be fairly easy for me to rip all the tile off myself and replace it, on the entry with maybe lino, but do the all the stairs as wood and paint them? Thanks for your help!
q i would like to redo my stairs, diy, stairs, tiling
  • Frankie Laney

You could take off the step tile and leave the riser tiles that could be painted. JMO

• Rachelle Morris

i would love to just go over top, but the problem is that all the tile is cracking. This tile is in my kitchen, both upstairs bathrooms and this front entry and stairs. I hate it. It looks dirty all the time because of all the cracks. I will definitely have to pull it up. However, I love all the ideas! Thanks so much!

• Sharyn Diaz

Rachelle...Have you considered paper? Just a thought...I'm planning on doing my bedroom floor like this and here's a link if you are interested. http://lovelycraftyhome.com/2011/11/09/the-ultimate-brown-paper-flooring-guide/ of course the tiles must be removed first.

• Rachelle Morris

wow! That looks amazing! A lot of work, but amazing! I just may have to try that....

• Frankie Laney

Rachelle I didn't think about other options only a simple fix. I just found a link I saved for myself referencing the brown paper process. Just in case you want more info :-) http://www.hometalk.com/1147044/paper-bag-floors

• Rachelle Morris

thanks!

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

I will be redoing our steps that need updated too and I plan to paint the tops and add beadboard wainscoating to the risers, it's a type of plywood found at any home improvement store. They can even cut it for you right there if you have accurate dimensions ready. You can see an example here: http://prudentprojects.blogspot.com/2011/03/those-pesky-osb-stairs.html. Hope this helps!

• V Valencia

What about faux painting? I had an entry way that had this really ugly tile...I did faux marble in beige, apricot...with outer tiles in dark green (ok, it was the 90's)...and since no one lingers and travels through the entry, many didn't realize it was actually paint. Paint is cheap too...and if you don't like it, you can always remove it or cover it later.

• Marielle Lambert

Perhaps a carpet runner...it could be glued right on to the tile or remove the tile & paint the stairs & postition the carpet on top using stair rods where the riser & the tread meet....I got my stair rods from Home Depot. Remnants (which would save money) from the carpet store could be cut & bound to your exact dimensions & have a matching carpet cut to the size of your entryway...

• C&K Custom Remodeling

Fairly easy to tear out the tile. I would recommend purchasing premade stair treads that are made of pine or oak. It might be more than you want to tackle yourself but the results will be worth it.

• Personally, I would remove the tile, and have wood stairs. I pinned this staircase to one of our blog boards on Pinterest -someone painted a 'runner' on their wood staircase in a nautical theme. I thought it was such an attractive idea. ~M

• Sorry, I forgot to include the link! Here it is http://pinterest.com/pin/333125703657407849/

• Marci V

Hi, I would take a hammer and chisel to those stair treads ASAP! Then resurface in wood. You could paint the wood or if it has a grain that you love stain it. Have you checked out Pinterest?

• Debra Peters

Lots of ways to cover those tiles without taking them out - carpet, in rolls or squares, cork, bamboo, paper...etc. Leave 'em in and cover them up! Save some work... lol

• Phil Miller

A complete redo. Strip the tile off one step.. Without knowing what is under it limits my answer. If it is plywood, then you have your work cut out for you. A stir is basicly 7X11. A seven inch rise and an eleven inch step. Your picture seems to be just that. But the 1X2 board on the front of the 2nd step indicates the steps are plywood under the tile. To build on top of the plywood would make the step 8-1/2 inch rise, which is high for one to step. So I suggest you carpet the stairs. Remove the tiles and then carpet.

• Dominique Cossu

@Phil Miller I have a question, if I may ;) (I'm living in middle hearth Spain) I have a cement stairs with totally uneven steps. I did with great pleasure and success some tiles floors in my house, and would have loved to do the same to the stairs. any idea?

• Originals by Rhonda

Rip off all the old tile and install wood treads and get creative and paint or mosaic the risers. If you do mosaic from busted tiles you can always save some of the old tile pieces to incorporate into new design so you will have that to match your floor