Asked on Jun 27, 2016

Garden Question - I have a circular bed in my garden

Linda BBetty GathmanJean Moore
+4

Would anyone be able to give some hints on how to give it a bit of 'oomph'? It is
SO dull. I have put down plenty of bulbs over the years and a small fountain
but it is still a mish-mash to look at and so boring!! I can't think of anything
exciting to 'set it off'
    Janet Pizaro

Garden statues, solar lighting,a bench, a shepards hook with a hanging plant. So many choices.

• Jean Moore
    Jean Moore

Without seeing a pic it's hard to make a suggestion but I'll try anyway. Maybe put up a backdrop of lattice to grow climbing vines of some sort. That would give it a vertical focal point.

• Betty Gathman
    Betty Gathman

Add a bird bath as an accent piece

• Linda B
    Linda B

And if your plants are arranged symmetrically, do something to make them asymmetrical. Perfectly balanced plantings, unless maintained scrupulously, tend to be boring in and of themselves, and they also get messy-looking because the symmetrical design makes us think they should be perfectly neat. So throw OFF whatever balance you have in the bed. If most of the plants are the same general height, throw in some plants that are dramatically taller or shorter. Basically, just mix it up.