Changing up an Orange Formica Countertop With Concrete

We bought an older home we planned to use as a rental property. Charming as some of the features in the house are it was also tired and old. We decided to make a few cosmetic updates before renting. We started in the kitchen with painting the cabinets and then moved onto the countertops. I wanted to try a concrete skim coat I had seen on Pinterest. So, as usual, I jumped in.
Finished result.
Finished result.
Orange Formica
Orange Formica
This was what we started with (the former owners were big Coca Cola fans).
changing up an orange formica countertop with concrete, concrete masonry, countertops, kitchen design
After taping it off we started sanding with a sander. I have to say I did not like results so I went to a 60 grid sandpaper and sanded it by hand. Just enough to take off the sheen and allow the skimcoat to adhere.
Henry Feather Finish
Henry Feather Finish
We mixed it in small batches.
We put several thin coats on, sanding very lightly between coats. I did this by hand also. This was DUSTY so go slow with a light touch.
I used a trowel to spread the concrete mix.
First coat.
First coat.
Coat 4.
Final coat
Final coat
Then we sealed it with 3 thin coats of Acrylacq.
I used a gloss finish because it is what I had on hand.
They have been holding up really well for the time they have been in use. Part of the charm is I did not care if they were perfect. But they are holding up under semi heavy use. For around $60.00 (there was not a lot of square footage) I would certainly do it again!

• Feather Finish  (Home Depot)
  • Acrylaq  (Amazon)
  • Sponges for application  (on hand)

Libbie B

• Chrissy

I have a laminate counter top with wood edge - interested in trying this but would it look the same?

• Libbie B

Yes, I would add a line of grout along the edge when you are done to give a more finished feel. That is pretty easy to do. Good luck and be sire to post pictures if you try it!

• Kat

Trying this now. Would like to know how long you let it dry between coats?

• Kat

How long did you let it dry between coats? I just put on my first coat.

• Kellie

I love this look. You make it seem so easy that I have to try it. Thanks for your post.
    • Libbie B

Give it a try! I'd love to see how it turns out. I still LOVE mine!

• Kat

I did it!!!! One countertop down and two more to go. I love it.