Libbie B
Libbie B
  • Wyoming, MI

Changing up an Orange Formica Countertop With Concrete

We bought an older home we planned to use as a rental property. Charming as some of the features in the house are it was also tired and old. We decided to make a few cosmetic updates before renting. We started in the kitchen with painting the cabinets and then moved onto the countertops. I wanted to try a concrete skim coat I had seen on Pinterest. So, as usual, I jumped in.
Finished result.
Finished result.
Orange Formica
Orange Formica
This was what we started with (the former owners were big Coca Cola fans).
changing up an orange formica countertop with concrete, concrete masonry, countertops, kitchen design
After taping it off we started sanding with a sander. I have to say I did not like results so I went to a 60 grid sandpaper and sanded it by hand. Just enough to take off the sheen and allow the skimcoat to adhere.
Henry Feather Finish
Henry Feather Finish
We mixed it in small batches.
We put several thin coats on, sanding very lightly between coats. I did this by hand also. This was DUSTY so go slow with a light touch.
I used a trowel to spread the concrete mix.
First coat.
First coat.
Coat 4.
Final coat
Final coat
Then we sealed it with 3 thin coats of Acrylacq.
I used a gloss finish because it is what I had on hand.
They have been holding up really well for the time they have been in use. Part of the charm is I did not care if they were perfect. But they are holding up under semi heavy use. For around $60.00 (there was not a lot of square footage) I would certainly do it again!

• Feather Finish  (Home Depot)
  • Acrylaq  (Amazon)
  • Sponges for application  (on hand)
Libbie B

• Melanie

I have a high top round table we use on our back porch and the Formica has started buckling. Do you think this would work on the table once I pull the Formica off or do you recommend I fix the old Formica and then try this method? We live in Florida and our humidity is high. I was trying to think of something that would work in our area. Thank you for your help

Melanie

• Libbie B

Hello Melanie,

I would pull it off if it's buckling. Save yourself the trouble if it continues to buckle under the skim coat. I think the only challenge with the humidity would be extra drying time between coats and maybe add an extra coat of sealer for safe measure. Best of luck and be sure to post pics when you are done!

• Enizete Cofer

Do you need to remove the sink to do the counter?

• Libbie B

Yes, we popped ours out in order to get under the lip of our sink.

• Chrissy

I have a laminate counter top with wood edge - interested in trying this but would it look the same?

• Libbie B

Yes, I would add a line of grout along the edge when you are done to give a more finished feel. That is pretty easy to do. Good luck and be sire to post pictures if you try it!