Changing up an Orange Formica Countertop With Concrete

We bought an older home we planned to use as a rental property. Charming as some of the features in the house are it was also tired and old. We decided to make a few cosmetic updates before renting. We started in the kitchen with painting the cabinets and then moved onto the countertops. I wanted to try a concrete skim coat I had seen on Pinterest. So, as usual, I jumped in.
Finished result.
Orange Formica
This was what we started with (the former owners were big Coca Cola fans).
After taping it off we started sanding with a sander. I have to say I did not like results so I went to a 60 grid sandpaper and sanded it by hand. Just enough to take off the sheen and allow the skimcoat to adhere.
Henry Feather Finish
We mixed it in small batches.
We put several thin coats on, sanding very lightly between coats. I did this by hand also. This was DUSTY so go slow with a light touch.
I used a trowel to spread the concrete mix.
First coat.
Coat 4.
Final coat
Then we sealed it with 3 thin coats of Acrylacq.
I used a gloss finish because it is what I had on hand.
They have been holding up really well for the time they have been in use. Part of the charm is I did not care if they were perfect. But they are holding up under semi heavy use. For around $60.00 (there was not a lot of square footage) I would certainly do it again!

Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Libbie B