Dee W
Dee W
  • Senecaville, OH

Can anyone identify this plant?

Mary RichardsonKarenKaren
+30

Dies to ground each winter-grows 3-4 ft. tall-hummingbirds love the flowers. Leaves are rough and it likes morning sun-semi-dry soil.
can anyone identify this plant, flowers, gardening
  • Dena H

I believe it is a variety of Foxglove.

• Sharron W

That's lungwort! A Beautiful plant in it's own right and a fabulous medicinal Herb!

• Dee W

Really? I am going to look it up and see what it can do...thank you!

• Sharron W

Spotted lungwort is really beautiful too...and the flowers are a variety of colors all on one stem...it's used to treat lung conditions...hence the name...

• Kelly

If you have an iphone or ipad try the app called Leafsnap. You just take a picture of the leaf and it identifies it for you. It has lots of helpful info too.

• Lynette R

It's Pulmonaria (Lungwort), there are some amazing varieties that are varigated too! Love this plant!

• Dee W

I will have to look for some of the varieties out there-I too love this plant and have lots of shady in my garden.

• Faith

This looks much more like comfrey than lungwort, to me. (I also commented on my question about it.)

• Mariposa

That looks like Comfrey here is a picture of the one I have in my garden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

• Marion

@Mariposa It is comfrey. Years ago in some of the first issues of Mother Earth magazine they had a great article on it. It is one of the oldest herbs known to mankind, we grew a small patch of it in our garden in Greentown, PA and fed it to our geese, ducks, chickens, rabbits, and pigs. In fact I cured 2 piglets of pneumonia one early summer, put it dry in their food, they had developed coughs and the vet said they had pneumonia. He as amazed that they lived. It can be used for humans, dry leaves, 1 cup daily, only 1, will heal the body, and also strengthen broken bones, tried it when my husband smashed his ankle, 56 yrs old, ended up with 18 pins in his ankle, but withing 4 wks was in a walking cast. He drank 1 cup daily. I could go on, but if you google it, check it out. Anymore questions, just post and I will answer. Good health to all.

• Dee W

yes, it sure does, @Faith & @Mariposa thank-you for checking and verifying

• Marion

@Dee W Google comfrey, there are many sources, and also how to use it.

• Karen Colton

My grandma said they were bluebells Not sure that was the real name is different The flowers are shapes like a bell

• Barbara

Comfrey. I LOVE this plant! Its a beneficial medicinal plant. It prefers morning sun, & somewhat moist soil; but quite adaptable! Encourages bees; [& who doesn't need more of those for a successful garden?!] I grow a LOT of it. Mine will get over 5' high; have resorted to stakes/cages for some, they get so huge & bushy! The leaves are somewhat prickly/fuzzy;[ but not downy soft as Mullein ] My gardens consist of all medicinal plants, hence- the family calls them my *med beds*...lol!

• Patti @Hearth and Vine

I say lungwort too. Pulmonaria. Blooms in the spring?

• Marg

Looks like Virginia Blue Bells

• Sally Phelps

This is Comfry.

• Bomorrow

definitely comfrey! :)

• Beauam

Pulmonaria

• Suzette T

My best-educated guess is that this is a butterfly bush.

• Joyce

Virginia Blue Bells, looks to me like.

• Marg

I think it's looks like Virginia Blue Bells too. Do the leaves disappear after flowering?

• Three Dogs in a Garden

It's comfrey. You can make a great "tea" with comfrey that can be used to fertilize other plants.

• Macgregor

I live in the Yukon and here it's called "Soldier Sailor", although some call it bluebells. Thanks for the tip about the tea! Do you know the composition of it - i.e. what makes it a good fertilizer for other plants? The colours here are variable from pink to bluish purple - perhaps to indicate soil ph.

• Allen Kang

It's looks like Virginia Blue Bells.

• Eni5251440

Comfrey or knitbone. Good for sprayed ankes. Boil some water,put in a large bowl, add the comfrey leaves. Stir the leaves in. Put your foot in, when the water cools and bath for a while. Helps heal the bones. Pick fresh leaves,you can also leave the comfrey leaves to dry out. To use them when needed again

• Peggy Dzimian

Comefeyes is Medicinal. Leaves are used for bruises n sprains. Can wrap injured areas w the leaves after breaking back viens a bit... does it have somewhat. Can make police or salves. Ingesting Aledgedly said 2 b carcenogenic

• Adele Byron

Comfrey good for turning into compost

• Kristine ParkGross

This looks like a hybrid plant that has recently been popping up all over in NJ where I live. Yes to the blue bells but if it's growing near some day lilies or some other types of lily you could have a new type of flower where the color is somewhat a combination of purple/blue and they're very sturdy and resilient if you want to transplant some of the new growth to another area if it starts getting too crowded where they've been growing. Just be sure to soak the plant after it's first in it's new location or it'll go into shock & most likely die (but the bulbs survive and grow again the following season). Thanks for the fertilizer tips ✌

• Cherie Harlow

Comfrey, one of the most beneficial plants to have in garden. Makes fantastic liquid plant food, great in compost heap, bees love it.

• Karen

Yes, comfrey. I have tons of it growing.

• Karen

I thought it was called borage

• Mary Richardson

It is definitely Comfrey. Not to contradict any other comments here, but before ingesting it for ANYTHING, please learn everything you can about it. It is delicious in soups and stews, but not really a good thing to use that way. If you research it well, you'll learn a lot about how it can affect your body, liver, etc.