Anyone have a good storage solution for a vacuum cleaner?

+19
I currently store my vacuum cleaners in the coat closet and linen closet. Would like any suggestions out there for a better way to store them so they don't take up so much space in the closets.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 05, 2016
    If you have a basement and they are not that heavy perhaps you can hang them there with the approppriate hooks.
  • AmericanWoman AmericanWoman on Aug 05, 2016
    I've seen vacuum cleaner covers that disguise the vacuum cleaner so you can leave it out. I wish I could tell you where. I don't remember
    • Kathy Bitzan Kathy Bitzan on Aug 05, 2016
      I would try looking on You Tube for vacuum covers. Some who sews might have something posted.....
    You might check with Sears, etc . They usually have the scoop on these things.
  • Gmamav Gmamav on Aug 05, 2016
    Mine too is in the closet!!
  • Ruidoso Ruidoso on Aug 05, 2016
    Go to Home Depot and buy some barrels--the kind most people put plants into. Cut in half lengthwise, stack on top of each other, carefully cut out one of the bottoms and one top. Glue together using something like epoxy or Gorilla Glue to fasten them together. Be sure to clamp them tightly. Paint or stain as you desire and stash your vacuum behind/inside it. (I plan on doing this when I move next year!)
  • Linda Johnson Linda Johnson on Aug 05, 2016
    I store our vacuum in our pantry. I have a Rainbow, which is a canister vacuum. I hook to hose on a shelf, to keep it from getting stepped on. Everything fits fine in the pantry, along with tour rug steam cleaner. Most everything in the pantry is food, except for the front area of the pantry, where the vacuum (etc) is.
    • See 1 previous
    • Linda Johnson Linda Johnson on Aug 06, 2016
      We live in a single wide mobile home. (We're retired.) We had a garden tub we didn't use (We used our garden tub one time in over 5 years. Our hot water heater isn't big enough to fill it with warm water), so I had my husband take it out and put our pantry in that area. We use our pantry every day for one thing or another.
  • Jan Jan on Aug 06, 2016
    May sound crazy, but I leave mine out in the corner of the den. That way I don't have to lug it in and out of the closet. If I'm having a social gathering, I put it away in the laundry room.😉
  • David Ogden David Ogden on Aug 06, 2016
    Does it fit under your bed?
  • Edith A. Robbins Edith A. Robbins on Aug 06, 2016
    My bed is a platform bed...no room underneath, but I might be able to get one of them under the bed in the second bedroom :)
  • Pat Pat on Aug 07, 2016
    I use a large foot ottoman with a hinged lid
    • Edith A. Robbins Edith A. Robbins on Aug 07, 2016
      You must have a canister vacuum. Both of mine are uprights and would not fit into an ottoman. I did try sticking one behind my livingroom drapes and that will work for now. Now I just need to find a place for my other one upstairs :)
  • David Ogden David Ogden on Aug 07, 2016
    Hope you fine your solution
  • AmericanWoman AmericanWoman on Aug 28, 2016
    Try this link... Amazon.com results for vacuum cleaner covers
    Link doesn't work. I typed 'vacuum cleaner covers' on Amazon's search
  • AmericanWoman AmericanWoman on Sep 04, 2016
    Try Etsy.
  • Lillian Tremblay Lillian Tremblay on Jan 25, 2017
    We have central vac so I need only to contend with the hose and attachements. The hose is rolled into a laundry hamper. The attachments are kept in the bottom and used for the lower floor. I have a hand vac which the attachments happen to fit on the central vac, so I keep the small vac next to my stereo in the dining room and the attachments are hidden in a basket under the stereo - it is a furniture sound system from the 70's!
  • Linda Valentine Linda Valentine on Jan 26, 2017
    Amazon does have vacuum cleaner covers. They're those doll covers like a maid, a granny, etc. Trouble is, I've seen them in people's homes and they don't sit right on the vacuum cleaner - unless they've improved them. Sheesh, I clicked on this discussion hoping to find a solution. Can someone make a fold-up vacuum cleaner that would fit in an ottoman?
  • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jan 26, 2017

I do the same thing which forces us 5 to rotate coats and for me have space in linen closet for extra toilet paper and paper towels. I love it. I have one upstairs and one downstairs. It's so awesome, but you asked so can you place a clean rug in garage and keep them there and lug them every time you use them. Or same thing for basement, as long as you place them on a clean surface so that they don't stain your carpet.