CindyD
CindyD
  • Arnold, MD
Asked on Aug 8, 2013

Birdbath needs some help

ValerieTanya L MAnne McCoy
+9

We've had this mini birdbath for quite a few years, but it really needs a little improvement. I have cleaned it up with bleach water, but I was thinking of spray painting it... but not sure what color or type of paint. I am not looking for a bright color, but would just like to refresh it to make it like it was originally was, and I would appreciate any suggestions. Sorry that the pictures aren't better, the sun was too bright when I took them :)
Finished project!
Finished project!
Finished project!  The inscription is: His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me...
Finished project! The inscription is: His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me...
Before painting
Before painting
Before painting
Before painting
  • Painting bird baths can be tricky. I would scrub it up with a brush of sorts and some ajax or baking soda to try and get any loose paint. Then I would use a concrete or other type of stain to match what you have. From my experience, painting them does not last. It is a darling bird bath!

• Teri

I used cement porch and sidewalk paint. It worked great. You can find it at most hardware stores.

• Sia@South 47th

I agree with @The Garden Frog with C Renee and @Teri . I would use some steel wool to make sure you get all of the paint residual off. You can wrap the steel wool around an old toothbrush to get into the crevices. Then you should be good to go with concrete stain or paint. it is really a cute birdbath! Please show us how it comes out!! xox

• CindyD

Thanks for your help. I had to go to Home Depot anyway so checked there...I could only buy a gallon of the paint for cement, but then I found a Rustoleum spraypaint that could be used on masonry. I have scrubbed it up today, but have to wait for it to dry before I can paint it. Should have a pic by tomorrow. Actually went with a hammered Rosemary, sort of light silvery green.

• Rose Marie G

You can use 2 types of paint. Cement paint that they use for foundations....or, the prettier marine boat paint. They have shades of blue if you really want to pretty it up. We used the marine paint a long time ago on a birdbath and it lasted for a good 5 years!

• Tanya L M

Let me ask this - are you keeping it as a birdbath or are you going to be planting in it? Also if the top comes off (some are two pieces) you might try turning the bath part upside down. From what I can see - if you wanted to follow the details that are already there - you could have a really great garden sculpture - on suggestion see photo

birdbath needs some help, gardening, outdoor living, Photo is Mushroom mold that was available But if the bath part turns over paint it and make it a sculpture Gives you a visual idea of what I meant Just a thought
  • Valerie

I think it would make a stunning succulent garden pot. Someone did something similar on Hometalk, that also looked really good. If you put a layer of small stones on the bottom, planted in riversand, and watered rarely, the lack of a hole should not be a problem.

• How about making one of those Fairy gardens in it:)

• CindyD

I finally finished this project!! Ended up being a lot more work than expected. After the first coat, some of the decorative pieces on the side started to fall off :( But I was determined to make it work, so used a free sample of some glue for cement and shored up the pieces and cracks and gave it 2 more coats. I love the Rosemary color and I'm pleased with the results. I haven't added water as it needs to dry another day. I had thought of making it a succulent garden or even a fairy garden, but will wait til Spring and see how it survives over the winter and then decide whether to leave it or make it a planter.Thanks for all the advice.

• Anne McCoy

It is too beautiful to plant in.. leave it as it was intended to be used as a gorgeous bird bath. Besides you would loose the inscription on the inside! Gosh, I wish I could find one like this!

• Tanya L M

Looks great !

• Valerie

It does look lovely. You were right to keep it as a bird bath!