Does anyone know what material was used to make these trees?

+48
I'm looking to create this look using cylinder styrofoam trees and wreath forms.
q does anyone know what material was used to make these trees
  • Karen Hyde Karen Hyde on Nov 16, 2016
    It looks like wool roving which is a type of yarn. Easy to find.
  • Valerie Valerie on Nov 16, 2016
    I also think it could be wool, but think that you may be able to get a similar look by cutting white T-shirts into strips.
  • Bonnbonn Bonnbonn on Nov 16, 2016
    I found this Christmas decor group on the Target website. The description says "It provides just the right amount of shine with some metallic yarn woven throughout the chunky white and cream yarn". http://www.target.com/p/white-yarn-wrapped-tr...
    • Lovely Home Lovely Home on Nov 16, 2016
      I never thought to look at the website. I got so excited and snapped the pic while browsing. Thank you! 👍
  • Patricia Doll Patricia Doll on Nov 16, 2016
    could be batting for quilts cut into strips too.
  • Leann Leann on Nov 16, 2016
    You could also probably use green twine.
  • Pat Moran Pat Moran on Nov 16, 2016
    I agree with Ms. Doll - looks like old fashion cotton batting, but you can get the same look with cotton "rope" - can be found at any fabric store.
  • Mary jane Mary jane on Nov 16, 2016
    Reminds me of that twisted paper ropes that was so popular back in the eighties. You unrolled it to make bows etc. Could be some of that thick yarn from Lionbrand...... It is the look that you want........
  • Bj Rutledge Bj Rutledge on Nov 16, 2016
    it looks like BOUCLE crochet/knitting thread that is made where it goes thin then thick then thin again. it's made that way. expensive .. you could use string or yarn and brush it once the trees are done, so the nap comes uip
  • Linda Stenger Linda Stenger on Nov 16, 2016
    I think it looks like boucle wool, too.
  • Patricia Zelachowski Patricia Zelachowski on Nov 16, 2016
    Looks like coffee filters
  • Filipa Filipa on Nov 17, 2016
    Looks like white felt as it's fuzzy on the side of the first tree on the left.
  • Patricia De Franco Rini Patricia De Franco Rini on Nov 17, 2016
    Saw some trees a few week ago on here and they were made with just strips of brown paper bags --crunched up and then twisted ..then glued on the forms and spray painted..they looked great..
  • Melissa Melissa on Nov 17, 2016
    Look in the yarn section of your local hobby store and I'll bet you'll find something that looks just like this or similar.
  • Sue Kiene Sue Kiene on Nov 17, 2016
    Looks like some type of yarn but could probably do it with some kind of jute or sisal twine
  • Dee Dee on Nov 17, 2016
    looks like the bulky fuzzy yarn used for scarves.
  • Jan Diolosa Jan Diolosa on Nov 17, 2016
    I use plastic spoons and the trees come out wonderful.. Look up spoon art.
  • Dianna F Dianna F on Nov 17, 2016
    I have seen these trees made with plastic grocery sacks. lots of twisting and tying together before wrapping and then spray paint them any color. Add some glitter before the paint dries.
  • Gdl14711191 Gdl14711191 on Nov 17, 2016
    depending on the size of tree you want to make. . .for a larger tree, white nylon rope or ordinary light rope /heavy twine sprayed with white paint and/or "snow" flocking paint would work, look interesting, and cost less than the heavy yarn, which tends to be expensive.
  • Wanda Parsons Proctor Wanda Parsons Proctor on Nov 17, 2016
    Looks like jute twine soaked in midge podge or watered down elders glue with some white paint added to the mix.
    The above answer is supposed to say midge podge and Elmers glue.
  • Linda Linda on Nov 17, 2016
    I agree with another reviewer - looks like the bulky yarn used in scarves, etc.
  • Jeannine Jeannine on Nov 17, 2016
    You can use a foam base and wrap with yarn
  • Theresa Uryc-lewis Theresa Uryc-lewis on Nov 17, 2016
    It looks like curly yarn. You can find it at the large craft stores or yarn shops.
  • Cindy Herget- Donaldson Cindy Herget- Donaldson on Nov 17, 2016
    Bulky yarn I wouldn't use Modge Poge Bulky yarn over styrofoam forms. Looks for craft glue that is good for using on styrofoam or "fun foam" Good luck
  • Hilyb Hilyb on Nov 18, 2016
    Looks like tee shirt yarn wound around a cone
  • CKimball CKimball on Nov 18, 2016
    It's called Chunky Yarn
  • Trudi Trudi on Nov 18, 2016
    I made something like this for my mother. Wrap chunky yarn around the cones and then I used some shiny colored thread to lightly wrap around also
  • Mary Mosher Mary Mosher on Nov 18, 2016
    Yup, it's chunky yarn with uneven spinning to give you wider/narrower spots. Wrap on your cones; add decorations as desired. Could even wrap the tiny lights if you like that effect. Just make sure your glue is foam-friendly!
  • Beth Chollett Beth Chollett on Nov 18, 2016
    Maybe it's just my eyes, or my computer screen, but this looks incredibly like a project that I've seen where they use dryer vent. You slide it from the top and then begin to gather it up the closer it gets to the top. I saw something like this several years ago somewhere, but I can't remember where. And the wreaths were done with the same material. There was a slit cut up the middle and it was slipped over a wreath form, then they put beautiful decorations on it. The ones I saw were gorgeous. Some people have amazing ideas that I know I could never make it look that way. :) Don't know how helpful this is, but all I know is I've seen it on the web somewhere. :)
  • Melissa Williams Melissa Williams on Nov 19, 2016
    My daughter and I made these! We used small terra cotta pots turned upside down and covered in Spanish moss for the base, then we wound chunky yarn around the styrofoam cone and hot glued to the base. They're cute!!
  • Rhonda S Rhonda S on Nov 19, 2016
    This looks like a craft I could do with my young grandchildren. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
  • Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Nov 19, 2016
    All the ladies are right about the yarn. I have tons of chunky or "bulky" yarn but none in white. You can get regular white yarn and crochet chains and do this. I will be doing a wreath very soon with this idea. They did a great job, btw.
  • Marisou Gabrielle Marisou Gabrielle on Nov 19, 2016
    hello look there i pretty shure its the same material have a nice day http://thehappyhousie.porch.com/easy-thrifty-...
  • Linda Davis Linda Davis on Nov 19, 2016
    Looks like a full, soft, cottony yarn to me...
  • Marisou Gabrielle Marisou Gabrielle on Nov 20, 2016
    your so welcome i m so happy it can help you make me happy
  • Kath Kath on Nov 20, 2016
    Styrofoam cups with the bottom cut out, tape/glue into a funnel!
  • Valerie Jennison Valerie Jennison on Nov 20, 2016
    It's definitely chunky yarn!!!! I made some too. So pretty!
  • 9530106 9530106 on Nov 20, 2016
    Try a spray adhesive with a bulky yarn of your choice. The spray adhesive will not goop up and harden the yarn, but I'll give you adequate hold. :-)
  • Deb Johnson Deb Johnson on Nov 20, 2016
    Cardboard cones painted white with cotton thread glued around them
  • UpLATEagain UpLATEagain on Nov 21, 2016
    you can make your own cardboard cones from cereal boxes.
  • Imogene Imogene on Nov 22, 2016
    I would say that it is yarn.