Staci F
Staci F
  • Salem, NH
Asked on Nov 19, 2016

Contractor mis-cut the floor when he put in the toilet

Mro14063724EEleanor O'Donnell
+58

Hello,
Our contractor didn't "measure twice, cut once" when he put in our toilet. Check out the photo. I'd appreciate any suggestions on a fix or a way to hide this mistake, other than one of those rugs that wrap around a toilet. Thanks!!
q contractor mis cut the floor when he put in the toilet, bathroom ideas, flooring
30 of 46 answers
  • Lisa acuna

You can always use the "contractors best friend" and caulk around it with a wide bead of caulk and then with a flat piece on an angle, smooth all the way around. Practice first in the back. Or, you can use wood fill in wood tone or tint it. Then smooth it into the holes and cracks. Before it dries, use a piece of wood, rough side, to press on the fill to imprint a wood design. Let dry. If you need to, tint more to match. It is time consuming but I have done this along a floor register that had the same problem and it looked fine.

• Tho7399293

Christine is right....sanded caulk has grout in it and should hold well. but did you confront the contractor about that job? what did he say? it's HIS responsibility to make it right.

• Elaine Bove Matt

the contractor needs to fix his mistake --- but if you paid him by credit card, call the company and dispute the charge until he fixes the problem or if by check and he hasn't cashed it yet, stop payment on it until he fixes it.

• Carole

This isn't something you should fix. This is sloppy work and should be fixed by the contractor. The toilet should be removed before the flooring is installed. This is a terrible installation.

• Cwh6899259

Use wood filler on the gaps, match floor colour. Then calk around toilet.

• Jackie

Laminate warps and swells if it gets wet, not sure it was a good idea for the bathroom but I would confront the contractor. Why should you worry about fixing the mistake of someone you paid to do it correctly. You could always caulk it like a lot of people have said or maybe try some rubber trim moulding to match if possible.

• Charles Prock

They make a vinyl trim to go around bathtubs that should do the trick....You may have to heat it with a blow dryer to make the sharp turns but it should fix you right up.

• Desmond

Water soluble woodfiller is the best.

• Donpaulin

NEVER (completely) use caulk or wood fill to seal under a toilet, for if it develops a leak you will not know until the subfloor deteriorates. If you do caulk, leave a couple weep holes.

• StefanieB

Have the contractor come back and fix it.

• John Stone

Cwittaker, has best answer.......this will work good.....

• Karen Criner

StefanieB is right on point! Have contractor fix it. Next time you have something done, DO NOT pay until you inspect the job. I've seen these types of repairs before and it is upsetting that someone would do such a bad job...shame on them!

• Mary

Send the contractor here, and tell him to read how several of us ladies said, that THE CONTRACTOR NEEDS TO COME BACK AND FIX IT! (most people would have done so, but since you have not, is it because a relative did this poor job?)

• Patricia Coulter

If that's the kind of job he did I would be afraid to have him come back and maybe do more damage. You have some good suggestions for do it yourself.

• DeNoal Sloan

I understand your concern about havig the contractor come back. If you have any floor covering left, the toilet can be removed and new pieces cut correctly that fit. A good handyman can fix this for around $100.00. You will need a new toilet seal.

• Ken Gregory

she should never have to pay the price of someone else to repair the problem!! Bud, you are smoking and not sharing! The Contractor is in the wrong and He needs to man up and fix it or he must pay someone else to correct the wrong!!!!

• Cathy

Plumbing code requires a seal between the toilet and floor...example chalking.

• Carol Derbis

Your "CONTRACTOR" is liable for fixing this! Insist he do so - or report him....is he "licensed"? if so, his license could be at risk if he doesn't fix and is reported! There's a good reason to NEVER pay in full before job is done...because errors like this would mean "you don't get paid til this is fixed!"

• Brenda Williams

Yep I make this unanimous, make him come back and fix it or report him to BBB.

• Kristina McGivern

Caulk around the toilet. It will cover the space and keep dirt and moisture out.

• 9530106

Aside from improper installation, is this a laminate flooring? Not recommended in areas of high moisture..

• Kca11578356

I doubt if that would pass inspection. Make the contractor fix it.

• Sam

Your contractor should have fixed this when it happened. Walking away from this installation doesn't speak well of him/her. If the contractor is willing to fix it, let him. If not, have it fixed and send him the bill. If it's not paid, small claims court. I know it's a nuisance, but the contractor should be held accountable. In respect to the final finish of setting the toilet--I have always recommended against caulking between the edge of the toilet and the floor. People do this all the time and the risk is that if the wax seal fails you don't see the leak until structural damage is done. The seal required by code is the wax seal and firm bolting down so the toilet doesn't rock.

• Ken Gregory

the sealant at the bottom of the toilet is to give it a finished look you leave a poort onboth sides to allow for water to flow if the wax fails this way you installation looks neat and finished!!!

• Deanna Nassar

If he is unlicensed you only have small claims court. If he is licensed then he should give you a free do over. It's a long process to fix it right but you may be able to slide a thin piece of wood around edge of toilet. Just to get a little support, don't push too far in because there is a seal under the toilet right around the pipe. It may be enough to last until some other repair has to be done to the stool.

• MM

This mistake, if done by a contractor, is not your issue. You will have them come out and fix it until it is to your satisfaction. A bathroom floor easily gets wet and if YOU DIY it yourself, your contract becomes NULL AND VOID. Then any future issues you have becomes YOUR problem. This situation should be dealt with in a professional manner, keep records of everything and if it means redoing the whole floor, then that's what needs to be done. You have contractual rights here and you should not have to put out one thin dime to have this taken care of properly. Good luck!

• Teresa

The contactor should come back and fix this, it is a relatively simple fix. lift toilet, replace the board(s), replace toilet. The only way to "hide" it would be with caulk.

• Michelle

speaking from experience, not a toilet mistake but contractor installed new windows in September, I kept asking lots of questions because I did not like the work or what I was seeing. Had him come back twice he still did not repair. Upshot, I did not pay him and then took lots of pictures and had a second window company out for estimate to do windows. I sent a certified letter to the first contractor who installed outlying my intentions of taking him to small claims court. Even though I did not pay him I asked for 1000 from him. You are the homeowner, do not repair yourself, contractor must come back to repair, if you paid him stop payment on check immediately. Take pictures and get second contractor to look and repair

• Lonnie

I agree with everyone else on responsibility, but for whatever reason it is clear you can't have the contractor make it right or you'd have done so. Because it is round, it would be impossible to frame with pretty much anything. They make caulking in colors now and you could maybe find a match to your flooring. I think caulking is your answer. If you have some of the flooring, I've heard of taking sawdust and mixing it right in with the caulk. It might not seem ideal, but it will camouflage it (I think). I'm sorry this happened. Good luck.

• Sam

Do what you must to fix this properly. Bite the bullet and hire a professional. Do what you
    can to recoup this expense from the shoddy workman. You have just finished your bathroom.
    Bandaid fixes like caulk, rugs, sawdust mixed with glue will only serve to remind you of this bad experience, will annoy you and take away from your enjoyment of the new bathroom.

• Eleanor O'Donnell

This is not what you are going to want to hear, but.....if you canot get the contractor to come back and do a floor repair, you could always go to Lowes or Home Depot and try to find a toilet with a bigger base; one that would hide that mess. Looks like your toilet base is pretty slim so maybe you can find one with a bigger base. They aren't that expensive.

• E

Get the workman back out there!

• Mro14063724

You can buy a sealant (white) to give it a finish look. It goes around the bottom, on the floor and the the toilet, u well need to a couple of places so if there is a leak under the toilet the water can come out and get fix.
    I order my thur Walter Drake on line. It has a lot of different things that can't always be found in the stores.