Karen
Karen
  • Fairfax, VA

Thrift Store Vase Revived

I rescued this sad glass vase from my local Good Will thrift store and turned it into a stunning home décor focal point...I will show you how I did it using a really awesome new product that I am completely obsessed with! Now I just need to figure out if I am going to keep it or give it as a Christmas Gift!
thrift store vase revived, Clean glass Vase from a thrift store
Clean glass Vase from a thrift store
First thoroughly clean your glass vase with rubbing alcohol. Then tape the inside edge with masking tape so you can protect it.
thrift store vase revived, Tape inside edge Paint Mod Podge on outside
Tape inside edge. Paint Mod Podge on outside
Brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the outside of the vase and let dry. You can use any version of Mod Podge but I personally like to use the Dishwasher safe one when I may be using my item with any water. The Mod Podge is to help the paint and stain to adhere to the glass better.
thrift store vase revived, Metallic Gold Spray Paint Unicorn SPiT
Metallic Gold Spray Paint & Unicorn SPiT
Now use a gold metallic spray paint to lightly coat the outside of your vase. And, now for the product I am obsessed with...It called Unicorn SPiT! It is a non toxic, water based gel stain with amazing vibrant colors. The fun part about this is that it is so versatile and can be used in many ways and on many textures. So far I have used Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain on wood, glass and canvas', but I've also seen it on fabric, laminate and plastic too.
thrift store vase revived, Vertical Stripe with Unicorn SPiT
Vertical Stripe with Unicorn SPiT
Ok back to the tutorial....In an alternating pattern (or completely random) paint Vertical streaks on your vase with your chosen Unicorn SPiT colors. Don't worry about the colors overlapping or on the other hand not completely covering.
thrift store vase revived, Blend colors with dry brush
Blend colors with dry brush
While the stain is still slightly moist use a dry brush (or even a slightly damp brush) to work down the edges of each stripe to blend the colors and lines. This step is to just soften the edges. Let dry. As the Unicorn SPiT dries it will have a dull appearance...this is normal. The next step is the magical part! Spray 2 light coats of Lacquer or Polyurethane. This part is very important...you must use an oil based sealer to bring out the vibrant colors and to seal your project.
thrift store vase revived, Finished Project after lacquer sealer applied
Finished Project after lacquer sealer applied
I sure hope you enjoyed this tutorial. You can also find a more detailed version of this tutorial as well as other projects on my blog. Soooo, What should I do...Keep it or Christmas Gift it?

• Glass vase  (Good Will thrift store)
  • Mod Podge  (Craft Store)
  • Krylon Metallic Gold Spray Paint  (Hardware Store)
Karen

• Chuck Peterson

I think I'm going to have to make a trip to Joann's. Have some coupons that are going to come in handy!

• M

WOW! I had some questions and decided to read your blog first and there you answered all my questions, mainly about the brushes. A beautiful project and well done instructions.