Trisha
Trisha
  • Wolcott, CT
Asked on Nov 23, 2013

How to waterproof a cabinet I am using for a bathroom vanity

ShirleyAGMarlene HaighLarissa ~ Prodigal Pieces
+15

I am going to refinish an old dresser and have a copper sink to put on top as a vanity in my bathroom. Any ideas on how to waterproof the wood without putting layers of poly on it?
  • Debbie Harris

If you're going to go to the trouble of cutting the dresser to put a sink in it cover the wood. Even if it is with glass.

• Yvonne

Hi Trisha, have you thought about putting a nice piece of marble or another natural stone for the top surface and mount your sink into that. As for the rest of the cabinet as long as it has a stain or paint it should be fine.Just dont forget to caulk around the sink. It will also give it a more high end look. I hope this helps. good luck Yvonne

• Mary I

Several coats of polyurethane, the kind used on boats, should do the trick, without the cost of glass or stone.

• Elaine Simmons

I used to have a vanity made from a dresser and I put several coats of WATERBASED varnish on top. The reason I used waterbased varnish is that it does not dry yellow like marine varnish does.

• Mary

I used several coats of poly on mine and it did not hold up at all, I'm going to try the waterbased varnish next.

• Pat Dollar

Use a two part epoxy. It is a self leveling pour on product that will absolutely protect the surface. You will need to protect the flooring with cardboard and cover the cabinet sides with plastic and masking tape. Check with your local hardware stores such as Lowe's or Home Depot.

• Gwen

Check out the "Miss Mustard Seed" blog. I know she just put a wooden chest converted to a sink cabinet in her master bathroom and she has a blog entry about it.

• Terra Gazelle

Make sure the poly is for outside. I use poly special for porches. It takes the wear and water.

• KathyBH

My EX and I had a small (25 ft.) old wooden ocean boat a the marina. It had a lot of wood trim which two or three times a year would use "Marine" varnish on. The water just beaded up and ran off the varnished wood. We also used it on a wood deck at home, worked really well. A little expensive by the gallon but sounds like you may only need a pint.

• Apply several coats of the poly for sure.

• Marlene Haigh

I used outdoor poly and it lasted for 20 plus years on all my bathroom wood.

• Terra Gazelle

A few coats of marine poly will do it...or several coats of outdoor poly. Either one will last for years, and was made for wet, outdoor use.

• Jonnie Hammon

Poly, or a. deck sealer, both would work.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

We recently remodeled our bathroom with an antique dresser as a vanity and use Waterlox on the top. It is WONDERFUL! We have 6 kids and this stuff beads up water beautifully. We love it so much we're using it on our kitchen table and wood countertops. Here's a link to read more: http://www.prodigalpieces.com/2015/06/farmhouse-bathroom-remodel-reveal/

• Marlene Haigh

I used outdoor poly and it does last for years

• ShirleyAG

I painted my cabinet, so can I still put a poly on top of it to waterproof my revamped cabinet?

• Terra Gazelle

@ShirleyAG definitely. Yes, i at least three coats..it will last for years. Don't just do the top.. you are in a wet zone..any place that will get wet needs done.