Asked on Jan 12, 2017

How to get grease stains out?

Brenda Ralston StansburyLorlqAnn6126261
+9

How to get ( cooking) grease out of a blue golf shirt??
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

Dish detergent works wonders!!! Here's a really helpful discussion that can help with every kind of stain imagenable  http://www.hometalk.com/2474444/stain-removing-tricks-that-really-work
    Janet Pizaro

Soak the stain with Dawn dish soap.
  • Shirley Harlan
    Shirley Harlan

I use Dawn original blue with baking soda making a paste then rubbing or brushing it in letting it set for a bit then washing as usual. You must do the grease stain and a small area outside the stain to make sure you have it all.
  • Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

Janet and Shirley are correct - Dawn is a degreaser - my mechanic grandfather used it many years ago to wash his clothes and hands to get the grease out. It works still to this day.
  • Lyn9912586
    Lyn9912586

I just had a good sweatshirt that had something on it...didn't know what though. I tried dawn dish soap a couple of times with no success. Also tried various stain remover products with no success...they didn't even lighten the stain. Then I sprayed it with EZ Off oven cleaner and washed it normally. Stain lightened considerably. I did a second application and no more stain!! I hate the smell of the oven cleaner, but it did what I hoped it would do.

• Lorlq
    Lorlq

there is an oven cleaner that is "odorless" it even could be EZ can't remember but think I found it a Loew's works just as well too The ez off didn't mess with the color / fabric?? Dawn has almost always worked for me but I will try this the next time it doesn't . I think if not a grease based stain Dawn won't always work it doesn't work on ink . Thanks
    • Lyn9912586
      Lyn9912586

No problem with the coloring or fabric. It's like the stain was never there. I'll have to check out the odorless oven cleaner. EZ Off is what I had on hand .. I now have a self clean oven so I'm glad I found a use for my old EZ Off.
  • Ann6126261
    Ann6126261

I use good old DIAL bar soap. First, you wet the bar so that there is enough moisture to work with. Second, rub the moisturized soap onto the soiled spot, then rinse out the dial soap, then wash the item as usual.
  • Lorlq
    Lorlq

Thanks I have a self cleaner too but I use the easy off on
    the top of the stove (it is a dual burner) gas on top and electric oven
    I still use it inside between the big clean but next stain I will try it thanks
  • Lorlq
    Lorlq

sorry dual fuel
  • Brenda Ralston Stansbury
    Brenda Ralston Stansbury

i've heard that putting powder on the spot, leave for 24 hours, spots gone and you can wash as usual.