My grandfather's doorknob and lock are rusting...help!

+4
I was visiting my Grandfather recently and noticed that his doorknob needs help! Any ideas to fix this? thanks!!
q my grandfather s doorknob and lock are rusting help
  • Lachelle Warren Lachelle Warren on Feb 12, 2017
    what material is it? copper, iron etc.
  • Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Feb 12, 2017
    Try Brasso to clean it up
  • MON8622698 MON8622698 on Feb 15, 2017
    If it is brass, KETCHUP works wonders! Just put on paper towel and rub! It really works!

• I am not sure what the metal is, but you might want to consider using rust converter. Here is a link to see what rust converter is: http://amzn.to/2kTcYBb

Handan
  • Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on Feb 15, 2017
    Looks to me like the finish has completely worn off in certain areas - that will never buff back.
    I suggest you begin by removing both the handle and the lock, use steel wool to buff it a bit, clean and then spray paint with some of those nice Rustoleum paints in a nice brass, or even a steel color would look nice. I think you might even find an antique bronze color - that would look swell. When painting the lock, I would suggest you put in an old key so as not to get paint inside the keyhole.

Then reassemble. If the lock is not working well, then spritz a little graphite power in and turn the key back and forth a few times. To paint the lock, I would suggest you put in an old key so as not to get paint inside the keyhole. All this is extra work, but it will be worth it.

PS: I buy my Rustoleum paints at the Habitat Restore for $2-3. Wish I could give you one of mine!