Asked on Feb 13, 2017

How can I repurpose my old CDs?

Mary Alice MerrymanJustine GironSue
+8

Thanks!
  • Ardale
    Ardale

I saw a really cute hack on hometalk that used an old cd, an old cup and saucer, some E6000 glue, some twine, or wire and some birdseed. It was the cutest bird feeder and looked it'd be fast and easy to make. Would also make cute and useful gifts. You can also take some of your old cds, tie a piece of twine thru the hole and one side of your cd then tie it to the side of your tomato cage or a stake placed anywhere in your garden so that it hangs off the ground and when the breeze moves it both the movement and the sun glinting off it will deter any wild critters from your coming in your garden and eating all your hard work to the ground. I like to hang some lower to the ground to deter rabbits and higher to deter birds, squirrels and such. You can also use those old pie tins if you don't have any old cds or you can also just tie some plastic bags from the grocery store eight on your cages and they will all do the same thing. You might not have the prettiest garden in the neighborhood but you can bet you'll end up with lots more vegetables then your neighbors will.
    • Danielle Odin
      Danielle Odin

They make great fruit tree bird deterrent. just hang them in the fruit trees as if they were Christmas Trees. Sves the fruit from being devoured by the birds and other critters.
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

There are some awesome ideas right here on Hometalk- check it out http://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=CDs
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

I made one of these, and I always get compliments
    Janet Pizaro

Make wind spinners for your garden.
  • Karla Mathis Bostic
    Karla Mathis Bostic

I love the picture frame idea shown here on Hometalk recently. Use two binder clips for legs, glue pic in the middle, and put ribbon or lace around it.
  • Sue
    Sue

Our town, Arlington, WA held a contest & large plywood fish were decorated & placed around our town. (Salmon are our town's trademark symbol.) The contest winner used these CD's to make fish scales & it was amazing!
  • Justine Giron
    Justine Giron

You can paint them black ( or any other colors) and do a whole wall full of them in a Media room/theater or a make a border with them after you paint them (around a mirror or pictures/posters).
  • Mary Alice Merryman
    Mary Alice Merryman

The kids in our after school program have made hundreds of spinners (like a top) to add to shoe boxes for Samaritan's Purse each Christmas. Very easy! Cover the label side - we spray paint, but you could use contact paper, etc. Then some E6000 glue around the hole on the opposite side and add a marble. On the "top" side put another ring of glue around the hole and press on a bottle cap. We let ours dry a few hours, but then we can't wait to try them out! Because the cd is a perfect circle, the marbles provide just the right balance to make the tops spin a very long time. Be prepared to make several. Kids find these fascinating and they are basically a free toy!