Asked on Feb 17, 2017

How do I fix a floating wooden bench to a outside breeze/block wall?

John GrimleyRobertHillela G.

We have just done decking in our garden,and we would like to fit some permanent seating around the outside edges and attach them 2 breeze/concrete/aerated block walls,( we not sure what type we have, but they've been there for 20 years +), also not sure what type of wood to use, but we plenty of decking wood.
So hope somebody can help. It will much appreciated.
Thank you.
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

Cool idea, enjoy!!
  • Robert
    Robert

Hello Hillend G,
    Sounds just what I'm looking for, although when I've tried hammer drill on our blocks the outer edges seem to crumble. Maybe I should try a lower speed. But many thanks for the idea and i will try it out, and I let you know when i tried/done it. Could be a while yet, jobs keep piling up.
    Many thanks again for the idea and getting in touch so quick.
    Rob
  • John Grimley
    John Grimley

I wouldn't anchor into these lightweight blocks. They at Ok for construction but their strength lies in them remaining complete.
    People never sit gently & kids never stop climbing. you end up with the anchors being pulled out of a larger hole.
    Personally, if you have plenty of decking left, why not create a storage bench? The back, sides, front support the seat whilst creating storage for seat cushions or even gardening tools.
    • Robert
      Robert

Thank you John Grimley,

That sounds like good advice and idea. I was toying with that idea myself. I do have some decking left, so I'll probably (Will) give that a go.

Particularly since I think the wall was built when the house was built.

Thanks again