How to Install Kitchen Cabinet Lighting

One of the first things they teach in interior design school is how to plan for lighting. Good lighting really does make such a difference. No one wants to feel like they are under interrogation lights while eating dinner!
how to install kitchen cabinet lighting, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, lighting
When we made over our kitchen last year, we planned on adding over and under cabinet lighting. Fortunately, my husband is very experienced at electrical work so this was an easy DIY for him. He says this is relatively easy and low voltage for anyone who has some basic electrical knowledge. If not, hire out. Safety first.
We used LED tape lights. We first measured out the sections where we needed the lighting to go, and then cut the lights accordingly. Be sure to follow the included directions on where to make the cuts.
We started with the upper cabinets, because that is where our outlet is. He drilled holes between each of the sections to run the wires through. He also drilled holes between the upper and lower cabinets to make a path for connecting the top to the bottom.
He used connectors to connect the sections of tape lighting together. The LED tape lights have a sticky backing which makes them easy to attach underneath of the lower cabinets.
Since our outlet is located in the upper cabinets, we also picked up a wireless remote for turning them on and off. If you would like further details on this project, visit the link below.
TheHoneycombHome

• Jewellstyles

Love the makeover. What are the tiny wreaths on your cabinet doors made of and where did you get them?

• Ann Young

I would the lights to come in when I open the door one go off when I close it. How do I do that?

• Doug94089

You could try installing a wired door magnetic switch like used for closet doors.

• Bonnie

Where did you mount the lights under the cabinets? At the front, middle or back of the underside? Did you have to rout out sections between cabinets to thread the lights evenly? I don't have an outlet inside my cabinets. However, do have one at the bottom right underneath. Assume the lights are hardwired into this somehow?

• R Walter

The lights plug into the outlet because they require a transformer which is built into the plug. You could have an electrician place another plug inside your cabinet and use that as your power source. These are easy to install, just make sure you use the extra mounting devices (the ones I bought at Home Depot had them) if you need to use connectors under the cabinet. Mine have been up for over a year and are still working fine. I installed them myself and don't know why I waited 4 years to do it. Use them on a daily basis. By the way mine are installed at the back of the lower cabinets and cannot be seen unless you bend down and look up.

• Slc19804375

My house (built in the 70s) already had the upper lights with gorgeous amber glass. Lucky me! Now all we need to do is stick the under lights on. I doubt that I need my husband's help, but if I do he is a master at remodeling. Lucky me, again!

• Lisa

Beautiful!