Best way to remove oil stains from a dress??

+4
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 17, 2017
    Apply blue dawn dish soap to the spot and allow to sit before washing it.
  • Jacky Jacky on Apr 18, 2017
    Immediately cover the spot with talc or cornstarch. Let this sit for hours, the powdery material will absorb a lot of the oil. Brush out the powder. Then apply blue Dawn liquid and work it into the spot. Fabrics with synthetic blends have an affinity for oil.
  • Cheesecake chick Cheesecake chick on Apr 20, 2017
    scrub with a bar of Fels Naptha
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Apr 26, 2017
    What Jacky wrote has worked for me . I have used this technique many times .
  • Katherine Anne Katherine Anne on Apr 26, 2017
    I love using Dawn dish soap for things like this...including blood and mud stains as well. I would suggest using cornstarch to soak up some of the oil...for several hours and then apply Dawn on fabric rub the fabric together with a bit of water and let it sit for a bit. Then wash it as usual. This the stain should likely be gone from your garment prior to washing , if you do these things...that is what I have found for myself.
  • Marie Marie on Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. There seems to be a concensus about Dawn. Just wondering if these suggestions will work on old oil stains?

• Dorothy Maurer Dorothy Maurer on May 08, 2017
    I am a strong believer in a product called Carbona. They make a variety of products to remove stains. Some are for ketchup, markers, oil, and other special stains. They also make a pretreat for laundry. These products have been successful for me on many stains. I can get it at Jo-Ann Fabrics here. I don't know where you could find it.