How do I keep my cat from clawing my carpet?

+8
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 24, 2017
    You can try spraying a citrus essential oil.
  • Janine Janine on Apr 24, 2017
    Being a cat lover, I have gone through many sofa corners, baskets, and carpets! My best friend is a water bottle! When I see them doing something they shouldn't I spray them lightly and make a "tsk" sound. They associate the sound with the water and even when I don't have the water bottle handy, just the sound will stop them now. Also, a scratching post is a necessity. They need to scratch on something is their nature. Good luck!
  • Connie Connie on Apr 24, 2017
    I agree with Janine. We keep a spray bottle in reach & give y feline something it is allowed to scratch. You could also try spraying a citrus/vinegar solution on it because cats don't like the smell of either.
  • That is what a cat does - it is natural instinct. They sell "scratch boxes" which are basically a corrugated cardboard box for them to use or provide a scratching post. Be glad it is only your carpet and not every piece of upholstered furniture you own.
  • Kimberly Boreczky Kimberly Boreczky on Apr 25, 2017
    Put some Apple Cider Vinegar & water in a spray bottle and spray the area the cat is clawing.
  • Sharon Sharon on Apr 25, 2017
    I have multiple scratchers for my cat. I used the water bottle technique when she was young. I also got the Felaway Comfort plug-in that reduces unwanted behaviors.
  • Ginny Rawsthorne Ginny Rawsthorne on Apr 25, 2017
    Have the cat de-clawed? I struggled with cat scratching and ruining furniture for 3 yrs. I did all kinds of research and talked to vets about and finally made the decision to have it done. Now we are all happy.
  • Debbie Debbie on Apr 26, 2017
    I have multiple scratchers too but she has done this in every house I have lived in.
  • Laura Pidduck-Zappetti Laura Pidduck-Zappetti on Apr 26, 2017
    cat scratchers are a must! cats need to scratch is just something they do!
    personally I do not like the idea of spraying my cats with water even just a little, I don't ever want them to be fearful of me or something in my hands. Felaway plug ins and/or spray works well and you can spray this on the new scratcher to divert their attention away from your carpet. cats like the feel of most carpets so you could make or buy one that has the twine as well as carper
  • Debbie Debbie on Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you for the information, I just ordered the Feliway and hopefully that helps! I'm at my breaking point where she's literally destroyed my carpet at another place.