How do I keep paint from peeling from my outdoor furniture?

+1
I have wooden chairs and I painted them with outdoor paint and sealed them with an outdoor topcoat. Both chairs peeling and cracked in one summer. I see all the time people use an old bureau as a potting bench or chairs with flowers and everything looks beautiful. Please help! Linda C.
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 02, 2017
    were the chairs stripped of all paint b/4 repainting? some times if an oil based paint was used then latex paint over- it fails. . i would take the time and strip the paint off, sand, use a tack cloth or a cloth with rubbing alcohol to remove sanding dust. use a primer, then your top coats. go ahead and use exterior house paint- it comes in gloss finish- and leave the outdoor top coat off.

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Mar 02, 2017
    Oh no!You can sand away the peeling part, fix the paint and then try a few coats of sealer this time. Good luck!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 02, 2017
    Before you sealed them was the paint totally dry?

• H. Chené Maurer H. Chené Maurer on Mar 03, 2017
    outdoor paint may or may not be waterproof. Wood will swell and shrink and the paint will flake off. the healthiest paint for wood is one with and oil base. Even an oil stain is good for the wood. However there are products that will seal wood and be waterproof as well. Check the results before you decide.