Can anyone tell me the name if this plant?

VljeffersonJanet PizaroDfm
+4

i live in NY and it grew in My garden last fall. Lived thru the winter and is now almost three feet tall. Strange seed pods on the end.
  • Kimberly Wheeler

Green onion or regular onion. Garlic has a similar bloom, but I think more slender stalk?
  • Hol22804747

Scalions
  • Teresa

Have you smelled of it? If you break off one of the leaves and take a whiff it'll tell you a lot. It looks to me like a type of wild onion or garlic. The top is fixin' to bloom and I could tell more about it (I'm from Georgia and that stuff is all over the place).
    TeresaC
  • Hol22804747

Gypsy Onions is the best name for this ~ bulbs on the root can be peeled and chopped up as shallots ~ enjoy!! Top bulb you can plant the whole bulb on top and it will form a clump of Green Onion or scallions for a salad or cooking.
    When the new plant comes up it is so tender yum!
  • Dfm

looks like winter onion - the stalks are woody- ish and the tip where white is? thats the seed part. they used to grown for their "coctail" onion. i'm not sure scallions get that big.......but a winter onion does get to 3 ft tall.

Looks like it is in the onion family,or Allium
  • Vljefferson

Looks like a day Lily.