Patio with dining and garden without looking cluttered

LoraSandra AllenMia8749530
+6

My fiancé and I are downsizing into a small apartment with a small patio. We would love to grow a few vegetables and flowers but would also love to use this space to relax and enjoy a meal and/or a drink. I tend to be a shabby chic decorator, any suggestions?
  • Susan Savarese
    Susan Savarese

I'd suggest a raised bed off to the side, against the railing on the small side of your patio. Or what about planting in the containers that literally go on a patio railing? I love those and the way they look.
  • Glenna Russell
    Glenna Russell

I might suggest moving chairs by the railing, with a little table maybe with, chairs facing one another. And then you can plant in vertical planters on the portion of the wall of the building, and hook planters on railing behind the chairs. You can find so many DIY ideas right here on hometalk. " Have Fun. "
  • Michele Pappagallo
    Michele Pappagallo

For a shabby chic look, try putting a small ladder or step stool on one end of the patio and then place potted plants on the steps. You could make shelves between the rungs for more space. Here is a pic to give you an idea...
  • Mia8749530
    Mia8749530

First I would buy an outdoor rug in your favorite colors. Like the chairs, but if you want dining these are not good. Can you hang baskets from ceiling or over the railing? Maybe big plants in neat containers in corners. Maybe keep these chairs and buy a bit higher table to hold drinks. Add some bright pillows for backs of chairs. Could still use little table in corner to hold plants. Maybe spray paint it a bright color from rug.
  • Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

I did my patio in faux flowers and got compliments from people all year. You can purchase them once and be done. I swap them out per season and for a person who can't grow anything but mold...it's perfect.

Here is my post on thriftyfun.com
    I hope this helps!!

• Lora
    Lora

I think hanging baskets or the pots stacked up held together by a metal rod. You could paint the pots your accent colors.