Asked on Jun 17, 2017

What can I cover a very cracked carport slab with & still park there?

WilliamGlenda MillerNorris720
+5

• Pau25157733
    Pau25157733

I had the same problem with my driveway when I bought the house. I hired to my son's friend to bust the concrete out of approximately driveway width by 9'= put that on the free classifieds. Then had a dumpster bring in some "Crush Cret" super cheap and easy to shovel
  • Lora
    Lora

Couldn't you use a self-leveling concrete over the top?
  • Susan
    Susan

depends on how deep the concrete is ?
    how deep the crack is?
    WHY it cracked?
    if it's because of the weight of your car.... you may never get to use it that way.
    you can skim coat the entire thing to "cover" the crack but might not correct the problem.
    you might have to seal it?
    or pour another few inches of concrete... hard to tell without seeing it.
  • Susan
    Susan

if your car (weight) is causing it....? you might have to re-pour or ADD to it and having re-bar under it... is it 4 inch concrete or more? is the crack just on the surface or completely through...? Tough to say without seeing it...
    You can skim coat after repairing the crack with whatever your "home improvement" store folks recommend - they have TONS of stuff and LOTS of advice. Utilize them!
    • Cori Widen
      Cori Widen

Agreed! I would go bring photos and have a conversation with someone at Home Depot!
  • Norris720
    Norris720

Glenda Miller - Photos of your carport slab would really help in giving you the best information to help you. The real problem in fixing this issue is to determine what is causing the crack. Is your car (weight) causing the crack, has water undermine your concrete slab. Is the crack just on the surface. Is the crack causing separation. How wide and how deep is the crack? If the crack is minor and not to wide you can purchase Driveway caulk to fill in the crack. Larger cracks you may have to fill in with a Backer Rod (foam) and then fill in with the caulk. This will fix cracks, if the problem is separation of the concrete that is a larger problem especially if water has gotten under your slab. The next fix would be to break of cut out this section and prep the ground and pour a new concrete section with rebar to reinforce the repair. DIY videos (You Tube) can help explain the repair process.

• Glenda Miller
    Glenda Miller

my carport is 30 + yrs. old and I am on SS. I am looking for a cheap solution to fill in the cracks (small and large) and make it look nicer.
    William

Lots more videos. Click on the link.