Asked on Jun 17, 2017

How do I keep the shepherd's hook from falling over?

ClaraJames BrewerBeth
+17

When the ground is wet the weight of the hanging plant pulls the shepherd's hook down
  • Carole Triplett Brooks

you can put a large decorative rock on the side that "pins" into the ground.
  • Linda Sikut

I have the SAME problem. My hubby bought a double shepherd's hook accidently. We decided to keep it and bought 2 containers of wave petunias. I put them up and they looked so pretty. Then I watered them - the next time I looked the whole thing was on the ground. We were talking about it today and we are going to try using metal ground stakes and wire around the stand. Hopefully, that will work but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears (well, actually eyes.)
  • Donna Keske-Howard

One option I use is to cement the shepherd's hook into the ground.
  • Nena Hodges

You could pour concrete in a whole about 6" deep. Put the rod down into the concrete then let it harden around it.
  • Diane GAUDENZI

Dig a hole where the shepherd's hook will stay, mix up some cement and pour in hole, a couple inches say 3 or 4 inches from the top and then sink the shepherd's hook in;. let dry totally, at least 24 hours. Cover the cement with topsoil or mulch and throw grass seed, or plant seed, or just whatever you choose. The shepherd's hook will stay anchored.
    • Diane

Hi ! I was looking for this idea. I've seen another person who had something similar. I was wondering how thick would I need to make the cement ? So part of the shepherd's hook will be going into the dirt under the cement ? My ground is very hard, and I'm worried it won't go in at all. ha

• Ann M

I had the same problem. I also had the cross bottom of one completely break off. So we took the broken one placed it cross wise over the one in the grounf and now it doesn't move at all. I know that doesn't help if you don't have a broken piece but maybe some other type of heavy metal that had "legs" would work.
  • Laura

Drive a pressure treated 2X4 (sharpened) into the ground alongside the pole. Drive in almost ground level. attach the pole to the 2x4
  • Mary Gendron

I've got an easier solution. My son had weights from bar bell equipment. They all have holes in the middle to fit on the bar. They haven't been used in years, and taking up room. My husband now uses them to hold tent poles in place, where he put up a tarp. He stacked a bunch and inserted the pole. It's not going anywhere. Your plant hanger could fit something similar, and you can move it or take it in during the winter. Years ago we had some old heavy lamp that had marble basses. (They were the ugliest lamps I ever saw). Eventually we took them apart and now pieces of the lamp are in our flower garden. They also had holes in them and the weight keeps the the pots from tipping over. You can probably find similar idets at flea markets or yard sales. Good luck.
    • Diane

I love your ideas ! You're like I am ! You see things might have other purposes before tossing them out with the trash ! 😊

• Kristy Champion

I'm having this problem now. All these suggestions have been very helpful! I might try the concrete, but that's scary because it would be hard to "undo" if I changed my mind on location. Love the weights idea. Was using a large rock to prop it in direction it falls, but then it just fell in another direction. Seems I'm cursed! :-)

• Carol Gonzales

I’m thinking of buying a couple of resin pots and using cement in the pots to anchor the hooks, I will be able to move the pots where I want, I’m hoping they will be heavy enough that wind won’t blow them over, even thinking of only putting cement in half the pot and soil in the other half but not sure about draining after watering

• Diane

Hi ! I like your bucket idea. I wish I hadn't bought the taller shepherd's hook, if I go that route. I had to take into account it would be at least 10 inches in the ground.

What material does the bucket have to be ? Is plastic ok ? And how much quikrete do I need ? Is a 10 lb container or bag enough ?

Thanks ahead of time ! I realize this is about a year old. And those were more carefree days then, without the virus, etc. 😌

• Beth

Sue, you can stick your shephard's hook in a small bucket of quikrete and then plant the bucket. The combination of the quikrete and its being planted will keep it upright, and it won't be that much trouble to dig it up and move it should you choose to do so.

• James Brewer

I drove 2 2x2 stakes, one on either side of the mast of the shepherd's hook, and then used heavy duty zip ties to keep it all in line. It has been like that for several years and not fallen over again.

• Clara

I was thinking to secure the shepherds hook to the railing post of my balcony. What can I use?