My $17 Board And Batten Wall

$17

I have wanted to do a board and batten wall ever since I saw Whitney and Ashley do one. If you don’t know these fabulous ladies, they are the Shanty 2 Chic sisters and one of my biggest DIY idols. There hasn’t been one project that these ladies have created that I haven’t totally fallen in love with.

my 17 board and batten wall

The first thing I did was measure the length from one side of the wall to the end and then using a mitre saw I cut my piece of MDF board to my measurement. 

my 17 board and batten wall

my 17 board and batten wall

I totally love their style! This is their board and batten wall.

image credit:  Shanty 2 Chic

Unfortunately, my entry way is not this large, but on the plus side — my board and batten wall only cost me $17! Yup, you read that right — $17!!!

And not to mention, it totally transformed this space. Take a look and see how I did it! This is seriously so easy, too!

Before

my 17 board and batten wall

I used my air nailer to attach the piece of MDF to the wall. Unfortunately I have a light switch there so that kind of dictated to me how high I could go up. I could have framed it in my board and batten wall but that would have made for more work.

Next I measured from the underneath of the MDF board to the top of my base board and cut a piece to fit.

I cut three more and nailed them to the wall evenly spaced.

my 17 board and batten wall

I used some Behr primer and painted the inside white and gave the MDF boards a fresh coat of paint.

Note: you could cut and attach a large piece of MDF to go behind your panel pieces, but I wanted to keep this as inexpensive as possible so I just painted the wall. 

my 17 board and batten wall

Once the primer dried, I followed it up with a coat of just regular flat white paint.

And here she is all done!

my 17 board and batten wall

Not that I have a large entry way by any means but I am totally in love with this space now!

If you like this make sure you save it for later!

my 17 board and batten wall

my 17 board and batten wall
Holly Grace

• MelandDalene VanDermyden

I love this idea, I also noticed the curtains and the window next to this project. I have the same kind of window shape and have been struggling with how to do curtains for it....did you make your own curtain rod that went across the short ends? Would love to know your strategy.
    • Holly Grace

Sorry! I can't help you out with the curtains :( the rod was already installed and left when we bought the house. It looks like they are just cheap curtain rods measured and cut to fit each window in the bay window. If that makes sense. Sorry I can't be of more help
  • Lynda Hayward Pierce

Does the thickness of the MDF boards match the baseboard? Would it need to be ‘trimmed/angled’ to match baseboard depth-from-wall? Love this BTW!!

• Cindy'sHandcraftedFurniture

You are absolutely right. If you're going to do all that work to make it stand out, pull off the baseboard and put it on your wainscot or pad it out to at least flush of the wainscot. Then you wouldnt have to hide what you spent all that effort to show-off. :-}

• 1cs1267

How tall would you put the board and batten if you were doing an entire room?