Can wisteria and clematis be planted together?

+8
  • Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jul 06, 2017
    I wouldn't recommend it because wisteria can be quite invasive. I would make sure the plants are spaced well apart.
  • Mickey sumner Mickey sumner on Jul 06, 2017
    I have a purple (light) wisteria and a jackamani clematis that are grown side by side and growing up the same trellis. It works beautifully as once the wisteria stops blooming the clematis comes into bloom and the whole thing is in constant bloom from spring through summer. Your going to LOVE it.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jul 06, 2017
    Yes!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jul 06, 2017
    Keep us posted!
  • Elizabeth Arsenault Elizabeth Arsenault on Jul 06, 2017
    thanks, I feel better now. Any hints on trimming ?
  • Su999 Su999 on Jul 06, 2017
    Trim when flowering has finished on both. I leave later because I love the seed heads.
  • Mickey sumner Mickey sumner on Jul 07, 2017
    just remember the trimming code for any clematis you may plant. Mine is a type 2, which is trimmed to 1 ft in very early spring. Wisteria can pretty much be trimmed to keep it neat as it grows. Just don't go too crazy on it and it will be fine. Good luck.
  • Silvi Jano Silvi Jano on May 15, 2018
    I planted last year Wisteria, a yellow climbing rose, morning glory and Clematis Henryii all in the same spot, (going for a green wall look against my house :)) and while the wisteria and morning glory grew just fine the Clematis and the rose didn't put much vegetation, though they both did flower this year and seem more fuller :). I'd say give it a try, you got nothing to loose :D. i'll post a few photos of them next week if that helps