DIY Solar Deck Lighting

$15

A quick way to add lighting to your deck (with no wiring!)
$.99 Solar walkway light
I got a load of these "At Home" (the store). I chose the stainless steel tops for the contrasting look during the day.
Remove the stake from the bottom and discard
I cut off the nipple that slides into the stake to lower the globe on the deck. It's not necessary but looks nicer. I used an electric grinder. You can use a Dremel too. You must cut square to the globe to get a nice vertical look when installed. You can clean up slight errors with sandpaper.

Many have suggested skipping this step by using larger 1/2" holes in the deck for the nipple, but I was after something with less damage should I ever want to remove them - or sell the house.
Attach to your deck with a wood screw
When attaching to your deck, pre-drill your hole and use a screwdriver, not a cordless drill - otherwise you'll break the globe. I use a #8 stainless wood screw 3/4" long
Re-assemble light module
Remove the battery tab and assemble the light module on top of the globe
After dark
Here's the light shining about dusk. The globe makes a nice pattern on the deck rail.
I put one light above each 4x4 on my deck
Angled cut at the base of the globe
If you're careful, you can cut the base of the globe tube at an angle for your stair rail

• Walkway lights  (At Home)
  • 3/4" Stainless wood screw  (Lowes)

• Vrowland76

What do you recommend for solar lights on a picket fence?
    • Dixie Carlton

use deck lights they work perfect and easy to move around if you don't like the light result..get at lowes and walmart
  • Billie Sue Wilson

What is going on when solar lights light up during the day, but will not when it is dark out?
    • Mzj32697925

The light/dark sensor may be dirty, but in my instance, the battery is not holding charge. Its like a car battery has enough charge to start a vehicle, keep alarms and such activated. If the alternator is bad it doesn't charge battery or if battery is bad the alternator is only thing charging your vehicle. The light will come on during the day because sun is charging battery full, but battery is not able to store that charge for dark so when sun goes down your light goes out or will go out shortly after dark. I've had this happen with .99 lights and 50.00 lights, frustrating and I enjoy nicer lights so I will not dispose of them yes I buy replacement battery. I do use more .99 lights in main walkways but love the more ornate nicer lights for special areas .
  • Stacie Bennett

materials are just screws and lights. what is the cup you are putting them in?

• Maria M Mammarello

Wow Jim, you apparently have to have alot of patience just to share these great ideas. Personally I'd have answered with: "Pay attention". You are obviously a much nicer person than I

• Alayna Fisher

Smart,efficient. Working on a solar powered chandelier myself. Wonderful concept and cost very little w huge payoff!!! Thanx pal

• Jim Cox

Thx for saying so. My time budget is often more limited than my funds, so I look for easy ideas that make a big difference quickly.

Post a comment pic when you’re done 👍🏻😁

• Car Rey

Awesome ! Excellent idea ! can't wait to try . thanks