Jen R
Jen R
  • Lansing, MI

Updated Kitchen Photo - Floor to Ceiling Bead Board

About a year ago, I asked for some assistance in our kitchen. I wanted to know how much beadboard I should add in my kitchen (http://www.hometalk.com/1389795/should-we-bead-board-on-one-wall-or-two-i-would-love-your-opinion). We ended up spending last summer working on the kitchen. We put our house on the market last fall and sold it, and in all the rush I didn't take very many photos of the finished product. I ran across this photo and wanted to share. The rest I grabbed off zillow that the realtor took. We decided on floor to ceiling beadboard on one wall only. It was really easy to install (so my hubby says). Originally I wanted brackets on the shelves, but since the space was so small and I couldn't find any I loved, decided against it. I ended up painting the gray - which I didn't sample first and ended up with purple undertones that I didn't like (but didn't feel like repainting since we were moving). I've lucked out with paints in the past, but this was a valuable lesson learned!
Kitchen renovation - floor to ceiling beadboard on one wall (the only photo I took). The lunch pail and clear glass jar were my maternal grandfather's and the blue glass and blue honey jar were my paternal grandmother's.
Original 1980's orange counter top. I miss the corner window at the sink
We painted the second wall and soffit gray.
Updated the hardware and new stainless stove and dishwasher.

Jen R

• Jayedog Howlin

I love the beadboard idea... it makes your kitchen sparkle and looks awesome ! Was it easy to apply ?

• Jen R

@Jayedog Howlin Thank you. We used thisproduct from Home Depot http://thd.co/1VGzyGz.It comes 3 boards wide, is reversible, is made of a durable vinyl and myhusband said it was really easy to install. After you measure and cut, heinstalled with liquid nails, with a few nails to hold until glue dried. Onceinstalled, we added baseboards and door molding, primed with an oil basedprimer (based on advice from HD staff) and painted with regular latex paint. For the kitchen, we thought this would be a better product than traditional wood.

• Jayedog Howlin

Thank you ...your kitchen looks beautiful.. but how does it feel to be in there now ? :)

• Judy Adams

Love that 70's orange countertop , Looks spiffy with the stainless steel appliances. Most people would have given up and replaced it . Good save,

• Jen R

@Judy Adams I didn't want to save (couldn't stand & had for 13 years), but the budget kept it as is. Ironically it was what the buyers loved most about the house, so in the end it all worked out.

• Diana Deiley

Nice job!