Asked on Sep 26, 2017

How do I remove a sour smell from some of my laundry?

ThelmaSusan MasseyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+8

It's the neck band of some T-shirts and the waist band of some boxers.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I use Tide Sport with Febreeze and never have a problem with clothes retaining odors after being washed. With the heat outside this year I expected to have to rewash a few things, especially my sons t-shirts, but all were odor free!
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY
    TAMMY SPALSBURY

Oxyclean.
  • Caroline Power Gangl
    Caroline Power Gangl

I use Tide Sport with 1/4 cup of borax and 1/4 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda).
  • Precious Pins
    Precious Pins

If you have a top loading ma vine, before theowing in your clothes in the wash, let the water accumulate with the detergent. Then throw in your clothes with a cup of vinegar. Let sit in the hot water, detergent and vinegar mixture for 15-30 minutes and really soak the clothing before closing the door & having the cycle start.
  • Ken
    Ken

The old standby, vinegar. Mom used to use it to get sweaty smells out of her laundry. Use fabric softener in your rinse afterward, but even if you don't the vinegar smell won't stay around long.
  • Florida Beachpotato
    Florida Beachpotato

Use a cup of vinegar in washload thats stinky, 1/2 a cup with sweaty load next time.
  • Geezer Wench
    Geezer Wench

I've had the same problem. In your washing machine with your usual laundry detergent, try including 1 cup of baking soda in the wash cycle and, instead of liquid fabric softener, about 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle. My washing machine has automatic dispensers and I use warm water. I include white vinegar in the wash cycle, as well. It may take a few washes, but you will notice a difference.

Currently on Amazon (09/26/17), a 13.5 pound bag of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda sells for $14.95. We go through a lot of it.
  • I would try vinegar in the rinse cup instead of fabric softener (I do not use commercial products) or just know when your rinse cycle starts and pour in a cup of white vinegar for a full load.
  • Susan Massey
    Susan Massey

I hang my clothes on the line to dry....sunshine fresh!
  • Thelma
    Thelma

Rinse them with some baking soda in the water and make sure they are dry before storing them. May need more time in the dryer or on the line.