Nguyet
Nguyet
  • San Antonio, TX
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

Remove mice urine odor from a dresser

2dogalEbbjdlCastrang17
+10

Hi there folks, how do I remove urine and feces odor from a contaminated wood dresser. I had this brand new dresser sitting in the garage for several years. I opened up the drawers and noticed all of them had rodent and cockroach feces and stain. It is an awful smell. Thank you.

Thank you.

• Sharon

Oh be very careful, mice can carry Hanta virus that makes you real sick or even kill you from a respiratory infection. Wear kitchen rubber gloves, and a good mask and goggles if your going to attempt to clean it.
  • Lynn Goins

Sharon's right. Wear protective clothing. Mix a cup of bleach in a bucket of water and wipe down the inside and outside of dresser. I would take the drawers out so you can wipe down the outsides and the rails that support them. Bleach will kill the germs. If the smell still lingers after its dry, sprinkle baking soda in all the drawers and on the top. Let sit for at least 24 hours and vacuum/dust. Good luck!

• PJ Wise

As Sharon said, be very careful when working around wild rodent urine/feces, and wear mask over nose/mouth and rubber or latex gloves. Make a paste of baking soda and water, apply and allow to dry; vacuum or sweep up. If the area still smells, make a mixture of 1c. Peroxide, 1tsp baking soda and a drop of dish soap or laundry detergent, mix well. Spray or place a cloth soaked in the solution over the area in question for 10-15 minutes, rinse and allow to dry. Sit in the sun to dry. Repeat as necessary. (Note: This mixture can be sprayed on carpet, walls and wood cabinets for cats, dogs, skunks, etc.)

Nature's Miracle (a enzymatic liquid) also works well; available in differing sizes at the local big box stores or pet supply stores.

I read somewhere here in HomeTalk that someone swears by WD40 (!) to remove odors, but I haven't tried it.
  • Castrang17

Always outfit yourself with rubber protective gloves and a ventilation mas, preferably do this project outdoors. Remove all drawers and vacuum drawers and vac the whole chest inside and out. Place the used vac bag in a large kitchen trash bag, tie up and place the vac bag in the trash immediately. Use a degreaser dish soap, water and rags to clean the dresser and drawers thoroughly. Dispose of these cleaning items in a plastic bag and throw in trash immediately. Let the wood dry for a few days. The sun will dry the wood and bake out the smell. If the chest and drawers are clean and useable, put the chest inside, and place cotton balls saturated with Oil of Peppermint (the real Peppermint Oil, not imitation). You can also rub the wood with Peppermint Oil, close drawers and let set for a few days. The peppermint will be strong. To eliminate the Peppermint smell, remove drawers and place all in the sun again. Paint or spray the chest and drawers with a polyurethane finish. I would strongly recommend to saturate lots of cotton balls with the Oil of Peppermint and place throughout your garage, ridding it of mice. The Peppermint burns the mice lungs, is a humane treatment, they get the hint and will not return. Treat your garage or any areas at the first sign of mice or as the season's change. Be deligent.
  • Ebbjdl

Start by using Lestoil, and I would dilute it a little with hot water. Clean with a wrung out rag, if you use too much water, you'll soak the wood too much. Next vacuum the draws out, and use the Lestiol. Keep the draws open to dry, and air out. The Lestiol is a bit strong, so use a mask if you have one. When all of this is done, finish the top and front with Murphy's oil soap, for a nice shine. When it's dry, buff with a clean rag. Good Luck!

• 2dogal

I would bleach the drawers then leave them outside in the sun for a couple days.