L
L
  • Tallahassee, FL

How can I clean a motor oil stained cement garage floor?

WilliamCindie Barngrover MeadJud23264884
+12

I'm purchasing a home with a one car garage that has 20 years worth of motor oil stains on the concrete floor. How can I clean, paint and seal this floor? Would an epoxy finish be better? Thanks so much!

• Even if you want to epoxy, you still have to clean the floor or the epoxy will not stick. Get some old fashioned kitt litter or a bunch of sawdust and spread out ove the oil and let sit a few days to soak up as much as it can. Here is a link to help you out! When the oil is cleaned up, clean the rest of the floor. Then decide what type of floor treatment you want. If you go with the epoxy, follow the directions carefully. Have fun!

• MICHELLE

Baking soda
  • Archie

Concrete has to be really clean to paint. Epoxy is hard to get to stick to a oily floor. I'd check with Home Depot to see what they have to clean the concrete before doing anything. Then ask the best man at Home Depot for his advice on which to use. You may be better off to put tile or carpet on it.
    This from someone who has worked in places where floors were painted as well as epoxy tried to no good results. After oil has soaked into concrete it is about impossible to get it clean.
    • Archie

I've left and came back, left and came back. Next time I hope to stay gone.
      BTW, Home Depot has some inexpensive wood flooring that would work in a garage.
  • Mitchell Lippel

Pour/use fresh kitty litter 0n the oil stain, wait a day then get put on some old boots or sneakers, Sweep up the mess, the litter remaining you will need. Grinding your feet and over the mess, and some new kitty litter.gringd-g your feet and over the mess, and some new kitty litter.gringd-g your feet and over the mess, and some new kitty litter.
    will see the spot fading away oil drawn out new litter grinds in works great, NO clomping litter, get the cheap stuff. Then sweep it all up to look old free 95% clear. OR use a power washer.to look old free 95% clear. OR use a power washer.to look old free 95% clear. OR use a power washer.to look old free 95% clear. OR use a power washer.to look old free 95% clear. OR use a power washer.
    • L

Hi, this oil has been there for awhile but I like the kitty litter idea. I've never heard of grinding it into the surface but, that makes sense. Thank you!
  • Jud23264884

Pour 'n Restore...really works for cleaning motor oil stains off your driveway...works great
    • L

As soon as I close on the house I'll give this a try. I've never heard of it, thanks so much!
  • Cindie Barngrover Mead

Power wash use stiff broom or brush with dawn ultra blue dish soap & power wash again.... we use to do this on the garage floors in the shop I worked out of for DOT plowing snow and doing road maintenance lots of different kinds of grease and oil on the floor then again we always used floor dry to clean up spills when they happened too

WD-40. Did a leaky oil pan leave a big ugly spot in the middle of your concrete driveway? To get rid of an unsightly oil spot, just spray it with a generous amount of WD-40 and then hose it down with water.

Soda (Coca Cola). Here’s how to remove oil stains from concrete drive-ways and garage floors: Gather up a small bag of cat litter, a few cans of cola, a stiff bristle broom, bucket, laundry detergent, bleach, eye protection, and rubber gloves. Cover the stain with a thin layer of cat litter and brush it in. Sweep up the litter and pour cola to cover the area. Work the cola in with a bristle broom, and leave the cola for about twenty minutes. Mix 1/4 cup laundry detergent with 1/4 cup bleach in 1 gallon (3.7 liters) warm water and use it to mop up the mess.

Oven Cleaner. Get those unsightly grease, oil, and transmission fluid stains off your concrete driveway or garage floor. Spray them with Easy Off No Fume Oven Cleaner in the BLUE can. Let it settle for 5-10 minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush and rinse it off with your garden hose at its highest pressure. Severe stains may require a second application.

Kool-Aid. Nasty rust stains on your concrete? Mix unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid with hot water. Scrub and the rust stain should come right out.

Baking Soda. Salt and commercial ice-melt formulations can stain — or actually eat away — the concrete around your house. For an effective, but completely innocuous, way to melt the ice on your steps and walkways during those cold winter months, try sprinkling them with generous amounts of baking soda. Add some sand for improved traction.

Ammonia. Tired of those annoying discolorations on your concrete work? To get rid of them, scrub with 1 cup ammonia diluted in 1 gallon (3.7 liters) water. Hose it down well when you’re done.