Diane
Diane
  • Long Beach, CA

Filling an empty corner in living room

ElaineDianeBarb
+10

I just rearranged my LR furniture. I how have an empty corner because I had to put recliner chair on an angle. My first thought of course is a large plant but?? any other ideas?

• Elaine

Can you supply a photograph? Don’t think that every area needs to be “filled up” as having some “breathing space” can create a calmer, more serene room. I know a couple who have some nice paintings BUT they‘ve covered every single wall, every available wall space resulting in a room that now looks cluttered and far too busy.

However, if your space really bothers you and you don’t want a tall plant, I’d suggest a vertical row of various pieces of artwork. Don’t be scared to go higher than normal and lower than normal. For example, when you hang ONE or two pictures, you hang so that the artwork is at eye level. But when it is a “grouping” of art, the top pieces can be higher than eye level and the lower pieces can be lower. If you go on Houzz and type in “how to group artwork vertically on a wall” (or a similar question), you’ll better understand what I am trying to explain.

In my guest bathroom, I hung a vertical row of paintings ... some are higher than eye level and some are lower, but when a person is actually seated in the bathroom, the middle ones can be enjoyed because they are at eye level. In my large foyer, I had a blank space and hung a vertical row of a collection of mirrors. Some were even just bought at reuse shops and if I didn’t like the frame, I painted it to suit.

There are other ideas of filling a space such as a tall screen (similar to Chinese screens or Indian screens) but if you have pets or children, that could present a safety hazard. I hope I was able to help!
    • Diane

Thanks Elaine,
      I agree, not every space needs to be filled. I downsized 2 years ago and love it. This corner is just bothering me. Maybe I'll live with it for a while longer and then see how I feel.
      Thanks so much!
      Diane
  • Karen Tokarse

Get a wide shutter or shutter bi-fold doors and either create a hanging display rack or attach the doors to make a corner cabinet.
  • Nancy Turner

I would see about a tall, but not wide bookcase that you could use for some small plants, knick knacks, some treasured items you would like to display . Being in a corner they would be on display, yet somewhat protected and sheltered.
    • Diane

thanks Nancy, good idea. I've decided to give it a week or so and see if I'm still bothered by it.
  • Doanie

Or a small hanging shelf with a small cascading plant. Or corner shelf with books and a cascading plant.

• Sharon

I've got a ficus tree and a stone buddha in my dead corner, and the window above has a row of those solar powered hula girls.
  • Barb

add a corner shelf or a reading nook with chair and footstool and a lamp
  • Diane

thanks Barb. I love that shelf. I'm going to live with the empty space for a week or so and see how I feel. I got some great feedback from this site. I love it!
    D
  • Elaine

I also downsized ... three years ago, Diane. Since I was unable, today, to find some decor items (to put out for Fall), I‘ve decided I need to pare down even more and reorganize!! It’s a constant battle! I think it’s a good idea to leave the bare space alone for a while. Another thought that came to mind is ... do you like the look of plates on a wall? I hung some plates in a vertical line in my kitchen years ago; it was a narrow strip of a wall so they were hung vertically.