Pamela Moore
Pamela Moore
  • Kings Mountain, NC

How would you wash crocheted ornaments?

FLLinda SparksEmily
+10

They were handmade and have turned yellow over the years. I believe they were stiffened with Elmers's glue.

• Liz Toone

Try soaking them overnight in a solution of Oxyclean, detergent and hot water. Rinse them well and laid them out on a towel to dry. You will probably have to stiffen and them again with a solution of half Elmers school glue and half water. Lay them out on parchment paper or wax paper to dry, preferably in the sun. Hopefully this will work for you.
  • FL

Wow, washing them may destroy the shape, especially if stiffened with glue or starch. Could you possibly clean them with a slightly damp rag and some very mild soap? If the color is an issue for you, perhaps you could spray paint them to make them white again? Good luck!
  • Bijous

It's the glue that's yellowed. Ficher is right, they may loose their shape. If you don't want to paint them, how about embracing a yellow and gold themed Christmas tree with gold lights and additional gold and yellow accessories? Could be quite lovely.
  • Cheryl Youngman

If they are white you could just blow the dust off and spray paint them . If you wash them you will have to restiffen them.
  • Barbara Baldwin

It's not that hard to reshape and stiffen them..specially if they are two dimensional like doilies, snowflakes..
  • Emily

When I had an antique shop I sold lots of these. I would wash even using some bleach to get really clean. They don't have to be stiffened unless you want to use them. For storing I would not use anything. For use a strong solution of starch should do the trick.
  • Linda Sparks

Put them in the sun for a few days. Sunlight is the BEST thing to brighten up items that have yellowed with age.
  • FL