Sparky28
Sparky28
  • Warren, OH

Can a toilet become sluggish from just being old

ShedogEmilySparky28
+6

my toilet in spare bath(upstairs)which was added on prior to buying my house(1990) date stamped inside of tank lid is 1987,it's a Mansfield brand,Ive replaced all parts inside tank which required me to remove tank from bowl,due to the plastic threaded valve float being 1 vertical piece but seems it only flushes complete 1 in 3 flushes & I plungered & snaked it,but it still performs poorly& based on the amount of work to replace tank parts,I may as well buy a new toilet& 1 that only uses 1Gal.P.F. Etc. Any simple instructions or guide to swap out toilet

• Shedog

Replacing a toilet isn't hard unless there are pluming issues, but before replacing it I would check out the vent To make sure a bird or critter hasn't built a home in the vent line before spending the money on a new one. You can snake the vent and check it out.
    • Sparky28

Snake the vent,as in the soil stack?? I'm not sure what vent your referring too? The other toilet downstairs on main floor works fine
  • Claude

Chances are the airflow holes are closed up and it can’t get enough. Air to push it down.
  • Claude

You can try draining the tank, placing duct tape under the rim where the air holes are..use a mirror so you get them all covered and putting a cup of baking soda directly into the opening under the flap in the tank and the pouring hot vinegar after. A little volcanic action...let it sit for a couple of min. Then remove duct tape turn the water back on and flush.
  • Claude

If it improves even slightly,then you know that’s the problem and replacing the toiletis in your future. The volcano will give you some time.
  • Sparky28

when you talk about venting & airholes,it has nothing to do with the soil stack or breather piping that runs through the roof & walls?
  • Emily

We have owned our 112 year old house for 46 years and have no idea how old the toilets are, but they are not sluggish. I would question the sewer connection for this addition.
  • Shedog

No, I am referring to the plumbing vent that lets air into your plumbing system that allows for proper drainage. These vents usually exit through the roof of the house. the bathroom vent should be above the bathroom the kitchen above the kitchen etc.