80’s Glass Chandelier Reclassed

$10

So this circa 1980’s chandelier was laying out for the trash. This caused an immediate bat turn and pick up. Free is good. With Christmas on its way I went into my secret treasure room (The garage) and also found a thrift store ceramic nativity.
Step one was to remove the internal light fixture and cord. I reached inside and twisted the light fixture to the left until it loosened. It was stubborn after 40 years in the same position. I then cut the cord and pulled it out the top and pulled the light parts out the side door.
Step two. I created a plywood six sided base from scrap plywood. Getting the measurements exactly right was the tricky part. I painted this off white on both sides and glued it in with trusty glue gun.
Step Three. I positioned and glued the nativity figures on the base, hung a star with wire and ran small battery powered lights through the top. To position the lights you need to do this in the dark.
And it looks even better in the dark.
This was a fun project that was done for under $10. Keep an eye out on trash day because everyone is replacing their old lights from the 70’s and 80’s. The possibilities are endless of what you can do with imagination and these vintage fixtures.
I just finished the second version. It is a Christmas Village under glass and thought I would share this.

Gary Hardman
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Here is the third example with a working Merry Go Round.

LED Star Light, YiaMia Cute Star Night Table Lamp Light for Kids' Room...

• Becky

I have a vintage bumpy double hanging light. Is there a creative way to reuse it?

• Gary Hardman

Hey Becky

is it clear glass? If it is, I would do a mirror effect on it. It is very simple but making it silver would give it a cool effect. All you need is Rustoleum Mirror Effect spray paint. It can be applied inside or outside.

• Pat Starks-Australia

Gary! are you married? because if you are .....she is one hell of a Lucky Girl .....that's all I can say. :) It is such a wonderful outcome for that old light.

• Gary Hardman

Thanks but I am the lucky one. Definitely married up. The lights are a fun project the grandkids love.